Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SLS delete question on 16v rear end

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 ·
Hi guys I just picked up a 1987 2.3 16v the car is low and was told the sls is not working which is why its so low and the front has lowering springs etc to match the rear.

my question is since the system is not working can I for the time being delete all the lines,bottle and pump from motor? I am going to change the rear to springs and shocks but since the car is just stored for winter i thought if there was something I can do for the time being till i find my new set up. any thoughts would help

See less See more
#2 ·
It all depends on what's not working. In some cases you'd be better off fixing the actual SLS as opposed to scraping it all together. But first you need to diagnose exactly what's wrong with it, and I suggest you do just that, before decided to rip it all out or repair it.

The current rear suspension will not work properly with the SLS components missing; you either diagnose the problem and fix it, or delete it all and replace with Non-SLS shocks and springs.

#9 ·
Because you can get it out of the way? Why the wait? That's like saying because it's winter, I'm not gonna wash my dirty summer clothes until Spring rolls around.

But it's your car, just tear it all out, turn the pump into an idler pulley, which requires some R/R of the SLS pump. Or you can simply buy a "plug" which doesn't seem to be cheap these days, so you'll probably just want to fabricate your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.