Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Springs for 2.5 turbo diesel

799 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TurboWalt 
#1 ·
I'd like to upgrade my springs on my 87 190DT. I would prefer not to lower it. Is there anything available to firm my ride up without lowering it? The only option that seems to come close is 2.6 Sportline springs. If this is the case can aftermarket Sportlines be had? The price from the dealer is very high on these. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Walt

#3 ·
Absolutely! If you want a stiffer ride the way to do it is with struts/shocks. Springs will change your load capacity, and your ride height, but they are not the way to go for road holding improvements.
My suggestion, in addition to Frank's, is that the OP consider performance Bilsteins. Though non adjustable they are considerably less money than the excellent adjustable Konis. Bilsteins come in different grades so he will want to read up on them before making a decision.

#4 ·
One of the issues I'm having is tire rub on fronts. The suspension feels very soft, that is why I considered springs. I was running 215/45/17's on 7.5 EVO II's. I switched to 205/45/17's on the front and still have some rub.
I hear ya on the Koni's, I'd love to have some but only have a Bilstein budget. I think the Bilstein HD's would be in order with the stock height. I didn't know the shock/strut would make such a difference without changing springs too. I guess I'll try shocks first and see how it goes. I will also be adding bigger sway bars this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.