Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How did you get your blower wheels off?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DSXMachina 
#1 ·
I'm swapping the wheels off my old decrepit blower motor onto a new Bosch motor. At my shop we usually have one man hold the blower wheel while another smacks a punch placed against the end of the axle. After some good sharp raps the wheel usually is off in one piece.
The construction of the blower wheels on the W201 look a little too fragile to take that kind of impact (we don't actually hit the wheel, just the axle). If I had a very small gear puller I could get those wheels right off, but no such luck. Any top tips on blower wheel removal? Surely someone figured out a good removal method years ago.:bowdown:

#4 ·
If you can use a puller like it says in that DIY you are cooking with gas. The W123 blower motor doesn't have anywhere to grip so I've discovered that tapping with a punch and hammer slides the shaft all the way through the motor armature! So whatever you do don't do that if you want to keep the old motor!

#6 ·
The continuing saga...
I got the wheels off, it wasn't pretty, but both wheels came off intact. Then I put them onto my new Bosch motor shafts exactly as they were on the original. BIG mistake!
I carefully noted that on one side the shaft was flush with the edge of the wheel hub. the other side was recessed exactly 1/4". I put the assembly together and when I tried to fit it into the housing...the wheels were 1/4" too close. It wouldn't fit.
Apparently somewhere along the line Bosch shortened the shaft so that both wheels should be mounted flush. When I assumed the shaft was the same length and pressed the one wheel on so it was recessed -like the original- I made a big mistake.
Now I have to get one wheel backed off so it is flush with the axle shaft. I'm going to try the pull and twist method. Stay tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.