Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Temperature Sensors

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  ichris93 
#1 · (Edited)
Temperature/Oil Level Sensors

The coolant temperature sensor on my car went bad and the gauge would not move. I replaced the sensor and now my gauge is working just fine. However, I think there are at least two more temperature sensors on the engine. One by the t-stat housing for the after glow. And another one by the upper radiator hose, I think, that has a two plug connector and a one plug connector. Are they likely bad as the one for the gauge was?

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
They're all independent, so you'll have to make your own guess.

There are four temperature sensors...two near the thermo housing, one on the outlet, and one on the left side of the engine block. And that doesn't count the fan clutch. Don't remember which was which, but there's one to work the gauge, one for the idle controller, one for the glow plugs, and one just for good luck. Then there is also the green fan switch on the outlet. I wouldn't rush to replace working sensors, because it's a significant investment which may not be necessary. It's also hard to find accurate sensors. Pretty much all engine controls are made in third world factories these days, regardless of what's printed on the box. And the quality is all over the place. What you might want to do is go back to that yard and strip the engine of it's sensors. Get all four thermo sensors, get the overpressure sensor on the side of the manifold, get the CPS from the bellhousing.

#3 ·
I'm not going to replace working ones. I was just wondering if these things typically have a life and since one went bad, all might be out or on their way out.

I might do that if I have the time and they still have the car. Where is the oil level sensor? My car has adequate oil level but the oil light is always on.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.