Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

new fuel pump/no fuel

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  dforney56 
#1 ·
hello guys I have a 1984 190e 2.3l 8v and it was running fine then died on me on day. I suspected that the fuel pump had went on me so I replaced it and I have no fuel going to the fuel distributer. the car starts with starting fluid and it has had a tune up done to it so I know it has goo spark. I have checked the fuel pump relay and it had a popped fuse, put a new one in and hasent popped yet. has anyone had this problem and can give me some help

#3 ·
check the relay you can also jump the pins on the relay to feed the pump directly, also how old are the fuses?

#6 ·
I have checked the fuel pump relay and it had a popped fuse, put a new one in and hasent popped yet. has anyone had this problem and can give me some help
That was not the fuel pump relay. That was the over-voltage protection relay, aka the OVP. The FPR should say "4 zyl" and should also say something like "6300/min." Jump pins 7 and 8 and the pump will run.

#7 ·
thanks guys I will have to check this relay, I was thinking that that is the problem but I haven't had much time for it. I figured I would see if anyone else has had this problem which I guess they have. the connections to the pump are all nice and clean, I made sure to do that when I installed the new pump, and where is this relay located?

#8 ·
Behind the battery near the OVP relay. It's a big rectangular relay next to another one marked as I mentioned. If the plastic cover is still there you'll have to take it off.

Also, get a voltmeter and check that you're getting voltage at the pump itself. If you pull the relay off and jump pins 7 and 8 (should be marked on the socket or the relay, you should be able to figure out) you should be getting full battery voltage to the pump and the pump should hum/sing. You'll hear it.

#10 ·
Oh, you've got an older car, forgot. That's the wrong fuel pump relay for your car. That's for a 6 cylinder. You need one that says 4 zyl. I think I have a spare in my '86, but it might be different.

I think the pins for 87 and 30 are the ones that need to be jumped. Whichever holes on the connector correspond.

Is your car automatic? Just curious.

#11 ·
yeah I was thinking that this was the wrong relay. but it was working for a while when I was driving it. I took the relay apart and looks burnt in the little chip piece. I found some new relays on ebay nut what do u guys think of them for the price, I am not trying to spend a fortune on this fix

and my car is an 84 190e 2.3 8v with the cis injection non ABS and is 5spd with a strong clutch

#12 ·
It'll still run -- my car had an 8 cylinder FPR in it. My car has the later FPR style that is 7-pin, I think. Don't have one in front of me. It can affect the kick-down function (if you had an auto) and it won't cut fuel on over-rev properly.

My car was originally auto but is now manual. A 7 pin or 6 pin relay will work just fine. The extra pin was just for the kick-down function, doesn't matter if it's not hooked up. Get one for a 4 cylinder, should have a cut-out of 6300 RPM.

EDIT: I just read online that for your car it might be a 5700 RPM cut-out. See this part for an example: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...elay@fuel pump relay&gid=3380@Fuel Pump Relay

I'd go raid some junk-yards, personally.

#13 ·
ok I was wondering what all of the extra pins are for and I plan on going to the junk yard here soon but there is quite a bit of snow in NY, and not many of these cars in the yard. I know of one yard that has a couple 190e +300e but it is in a remote area. again thanks for the insight

#19 ·
Check the fuel pump output end and see if gas flow out when you turn ignition on - be prepared to capture gas.
If fuel flows out, then problem is probably somewhere along the main fuel line.
If no fuel flows out, check the following:
- power to fuel pump
- fuel filter is not plugged up
- fuel tank hose end is connected correctly to the input end of the fuel pump

#21 ·
The OP never stated he attempted to jump the pump, so we don't even know if the pump actually works.

Had he done that, the first thing he would have said is "I jumped the pump and I could hear it run" or "I jumped the pump and it did not run".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.