BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1992 190E 2.6L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Explanation of fuses/relays in '93 190E

Hello, new to both MB and this site. I'm having some electrical issues. My driver-front window is not working and I was wondering if it was the relay.

Is it possible for the other windows to work if the relay was the problem or would ALL windows not work? Also, how do I know when one is bad? Do they pop up? Are the prongs burnt/discolored?

I've attached a pic of my fuse box for whatever its worth. I'm also curious about the function of the 1 silver and 1 black relay that is near the blue 25amp fuses that are in front of the fuse box. Thanks and happy driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1581.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	584122  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 03:44 PM

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: '85 W201.601; '13 X204.651
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon4418 View Post

Is it possible for the other windows to work if the relay was the problem or would ALL windows not work? Also, how do I know when one is bad? Do they pop up? Are the prongs burnt/discolored?

Not likely the relay. Your window problem is either in the wiring from the switch to the motor, in the switch itself, or in the motor.

Do a search here. I just had a couple of frustrating weeks with this same problem. It was both my motor and the front window switch. The switches particularly, accumulate debris through years. They are easy to dismantle, lube and reassemble. That's likely your first step. Then check the continuity in your wiring. I'm told some wires get frayed at the door. Mine looked new but I'll take the word of others. Lastly check your motor. It's the one that gets used the most.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1993 190e-2.3
A quick fix might be, make sure the driver side rear window is all the way up. Then pop up the wooden panel with the switches and put the driver switch's wiring plug on the rear door's switch.
That will at least test the switch.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
How do I pop the wood console with the switches? Just pry the wood panel out with a flat-head? Thanks, everyone, for your help.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: '85 W201.601; '13 X204.651
Lifetime Premium Member
Pop it up carefully at the back. When the back is loose slide it slightly to the rear and up it comes. There are 4 plastic snaps, two in front and two in back. If you're not careful those will break and then holding the wood down in the future, will be difficult.

Download the shop manual from the stickies at the top. That will give you all the info you seek, including identification of your fuses and relays.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Download the shop manual from where?
#7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 AM
IR MODERATOR

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to Jippi Send a message via MSN to Jippi
according to ur profile u have a 93 so its the later style switch. stickied thread has all info u need on the shop manual. from the sound of it sounds like the switch is bad which is common. the wood console is easy, just do a search. to get the wood console off u pop off the plastic ring around the shifter then take a plastic "bone tool" slide it between the shifter and wood near the rear edge of the shifter adn pop the wood up and your done. be careful its held in by strong plastic clips and if ur not careful they will break.

1993 MB 190E 2.3 105k- its alive.. 1996 Volvo 855 GLT-R 350k still rolling
1998 Subaru Outback SUS 210k- Daily Driver 2011 Toyota Camry XLE 36k
1991 BMW 525I stock as stock gets 98k (Wrecked) 1998 MB C230 209k possessed by the devil
Benzworld.org---Tri-State Crew

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190 Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.