Fuel supply line bulging - how to replace - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190 Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1990 190e 2.6
Fuel supply line bulging - how to replace

I followed the line and it goes to the bottom of the fuel tank onto a metal tube. I found a diagram and believe it is the fuel supply line. One end is crimped, the other end has a hose clamp. It has a large bulge/bubble in the line. I squeezed a different part of the line and heard a crunching sound.

What is the procedure to replace it, and where to find it?
liquiddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1997 S420
Usually there is no need to get the exact fuel line from the dealer. Just bring a piece of the line with you to a parts store and they will cut you as much as you need. But if the fuel line is a special shape, then you should get it at the dealer. No special procedures. I just recommend that you have an almost empty tank, bunch of rags, and if your area has no problem with small fuel spills, work on it outside instead of in your own garage.
Krician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping somebody knew the part number so I could shop around. My local dealership wants $4.50/ea for the copper washers used for the transmission drain plug. I sort of labelled them a "last resort" after that one. I have an alldatadiy subscription and I checked the PDF shop manuals. I found the parts breakdown in the shop manual but no part numbers. The shop manual also shows two hose clamps, but I am almost positive mine is only hose clamped on the end that goes to the fuel pump.

Unfortunately I have a gas hot water heater in my garage so I can't do any fuel related work in there. My driveway is on an incline so I'll probably be doing this one out in front of the house.

I was thinking:

* driving it down to 1/8 of a tank
* remove gas cap
* clamp the main line
* remove the hose clamp end, release clamp and drain into a gas can

Sound reasonable? I've never worked with the fuel lines before, other than to change the filter.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W123, W201
See my photo DIY thread on replacing fuel pumps, and main fuel supply hoses (we basically have the same car)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201...r-hangers.html

Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the link. That will be especially helpful because I am also replacing the pump. It's all coroded and leaky. The entire assembly looks like a fire trap. I found the part # for the hose:

Local dealer wanted $114 after tax. Got it for $74 shipped from the place that has the really useful diagrams and part numbers. So saved $40. $40 here and there adds up fast.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1991 190e 1997 C280
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddog View Post
Thanks for the link. That will be especially helpful because I am also replacing the pump. It's all coroded and leaky. The entire assembly looks like a fire trap. I found the part # for the hose:

Local dealer wanted $114 after tax. Got it for $74 shipped from the place that has the really useful diagrams and part numbers. So saved $40. $40 here and there adds up fast.
What place did you get it from? I'm replacing fuel pumps now and a new fuel line seems like a good idea.
ghartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghartin View Post
What place did you get it from? I'm replacing fuel pumps now and a new fuel line seems like a good idea.
I got the Walbro pump from Pelican. It seems to come with the check valve as a bonus.

I got the line from mbpartsworld.

I picked those suppliers because they support the community with detailed tutorials and/or parts breakdown diagrams. Pricing for either appears to be within a few dollars of other places.

Last edited by liquiddog; 07-16-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1991 190e 1997 C280
You are right about the mbpartsworld site and diagrams...but the hose Mbeige shows looks to cost $174. Thanks.
ghartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

The one I ordered was $60 + 12 shipping. It's the main line from the tank to the pump. Mine has a huge bubble in it and looks like it's about to blow.

I think the one you are talking about is the complicated looking hose that has a second hose poking out the side. On my car, somebody appears to have already addressed this with a series of connectors and new standard hose. I'm going to replace the hose for good measure, and as long as the franken-connector doesn't show signs of leaking, leave it be.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I'm just trying to think through everything so I'm not missing parts after I get it all apart. Is there a gasket that goes on the main hose where it connects to the tank?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190 Class