Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sunroof won't close....looks like cable broke, now what?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  maddhatter 
#1 ·
While opening my sunroof today the roof went back a few inches and then abruptly stopped. I tried moving it back, but no go as I could hear the motor moving but nothing happening. So went back into the trunk and tried the manual crank thinking at least I could get it closed so the rain wont come in but noooooo......crank, crank, crank...nothing. So it appears that the cable has broken or come off somewhere in there and I need to be able to at least close it for the rain but don't know how to do it in its current state without a cable. Anybody know how I can at least close the thing until I have my mechanic take a look at it?? Of course it has to be the rainiest month on record here on the east coast right now....:crybaby2:

#3 ·
If both mechanisms seem to be broken, I would assume you could move the sunroof by hand, since nothing is holding it in place. (I'm afraid I haven't had this experience.) I think it is some kind of metal rod btw, because it needs to be able to push and pull on the sunroof...

Wish I could help more....

#5 ·
I think you just pull straight down on the edge of the "sunroof" liner. (Don't want you to be pulling the roof liner just in case.) Then you can manipulate it out, I think best through the top to the outside. I did this once on the '85 I believe, and Mercedes seems to use similar methods repeatedly, ie. the gear shifter still has the same pattern of zigzagging into the '09 model... A couple of inches might not be enough to pull it out though, but maybe you could slide it back after getting it loose.

It should be held by metal clips.

#6 ·
Well, after taking a good look at it again it looks like there is a piece on either side of the roof liner that has to come out first before you can just pull it out. This involves taking quite a bit of molding and trim pieces off on each side first and then pulling the roof liner piece off. I will report back once I get in there and see what else I might need....Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.