Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Modulator install

830 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  kevybear66 
#1 ·
Well, it's been some months since I suspected a modulator went bad on my tranny.
After reading all of the info supplied here, I thought I would add an ""alternative method"" to getting at the fool thing. We did as suggested and tried dropping the tranny down to access it. Unless it is detatched from the engine, the engine when tilted back won't allow for enough drop to access the modulator, even with driveshaft out and rear tranny mount removed. At least not easy access, and no way to easily fiddle with it.

Alternative
Cut an access hole in the tranny well. It's just tin and sound deadener. It then gives you access to adjust when the part is in as well, just by opening it up at will. A few 1/4" sheet metal screws and tin seals it back, and it's hidden under the carpet.
Finished an install yesterday, and it took hours to reinstall all that we took apart, when it wasn't necessary. Live and learn, and then impart what you learn.
I haven't driven the car to even see if the part worked, but I did want to save the next guy the nightmare of tryingto get at this thing. Many shops flat out refused to do the fix. I get why.

#7 ·
i have a 93 190e 2.3 automatic,im having a problem with the tranny first to second is a bit early,second to third is hard and it goes into overdrive fine,also i have no passing .gear and if i shift manually its fine. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.