Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New owner with a couple questions-starting and lights

877 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jbrt1989 
#1 ·
Hello all, just become the new owner of a 92 190e 2.3., my first MB. It doesn't need much to be a very nice little commuter. But, I'm sure I'll continue to find things that create more questions.

Of more immediate concern are two problems;

1. It's very hard to start, cold or hot. I have to depress the accelerator completely and spin the starter several times before it catches. If I don't depress the accelerator, it won't fire. Once it starts, the idle seems a little low and the vehicle shakes considerably. Once moving the shake goes away until I stop again. Runs very smoothly otherwise. A little sluggish on take-off, like it's lugging but, once it gets moving, it's quite peppy.

2. Lastly,(for the moment anyway) the 2nd major concern, I determined tonight that the vehicle has absolutely zero interior dash lighting. Not the cluster and not the center console/climate cluster. The dimming rheostat does nothing it appears. Is there a common fuse for those lights? If not the fuse, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning as much as I can here.

See less See more
#2 ·
The starting could be a plugs, fuel pump, etc.
The shaking as it's stopped could be worn bushings or worn flex disc.

For the lights, I'd check all the fuses, and I'd even get a fuse kit to replace them all just to do it.

#3 ·
For the lights, you should replace all of the fuses. They sometimes look good, but can still go bad. Did the PO disconnect the switches at the door? Are the bulbs still good?

The rheostat sometimes can go bad, but that should only affect the instrument cluster/ center consol lights.

#4 ·
You did not tell us the mileage or the prior owner's maintenance of the car at all. There have to be certain conditions for the car's motor to ignite with a vengeance. The hydraulic tappets have to be operational. The pistons must compress. There can be no vacuum leaks and the cold start valve and all actuators and wiring have to be operational. Plugs have to be gapped correctly and the spark plug wires have to be sound.

Assuming the simple for a moment, get the car running and spray water on the plug wires. If the car stalls, you need new wires. Open up the distributor cap and see if there isn't carbon all over inside it. If there is, clean out the carbon. Check the rotor to see if it is not pitted and ruined. Have your garage test the ignition coil and electronics of the ignition system.

Many people discover the mixture tower under the air cleaner lid and cut off its tip to access the rheostat. That mixture setting may be way off. The dealer can reset it properly and replace the cut off tower to stop dirt from ruining the rheostat.

The over volt protection relay replacement is another simple fix. If your ABS light is on and the car is hard to start, replace the OVP relay.

I never press the accelerator. My 190's (both 2.3) fire up without touching the accelerator.

I hope that helps.

#5 · (Edited)
I hope that helps.
It does help, it certainly points me in a few directions.

I did forget to include some of the information you need, unfortunately, I don't have a lot to use. I bought it out of a fella's driveway. He said he was selling it for his uncle, but, didn't know much. It registers 188K, but, the odometer doesn't work, so, who knows how many miles it has.

As far as any mechanical history, unfortunately, it's a mystery. Last registered owner looks to be a company that appears to no longer exist.

I'm probably out of luck finding any kind of history. I'll run a Carfax later today, perhaps, that will uncover a lead or two.

NOW, to the business at hand. I still have had no luck with the dash/console lights. I've seen several gauge clusters on sale, I may try another one and hope to fix the odometer as well as the rheostat/dash lights, as I'm presuming the problem lies in the dimmer switch (rheostat)

If I turn the key on 3 or 4 times and let the fuel pump "prime" the system, it starts easily. I'm leaning toward the accumulator now....sound right? But, the idle seems awfully low and shaky. But, once the RPMs go up a notch or two it smooths out and, honestly, purrs nicely for a 20yr old car.

As always, I appreciate the advice/tips. As I said, I just kind of noticed it sitting in a fella's driveway and bought on a whim for something fun to tinker with. I've always admired the older models, I thought a 190 would be a fun place to start a new hobby. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.