Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New 190E Owner

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  JacobB. 
#1 ·
Picked up my 1990 190E 2.0 Auto on the weekend and I am already in love with the styling the interior and pretty much everything else about it!!

Is the 2.0L a rare model (?) because there is very little information about it anywhere. Not even the registration authorities here know much about it.

I'm located in NZ but this car was imported via Japan. Anything I should know re Japan importing etc? It's been in New Zealand since 1999.

I plan to do some thorough maintenance work on the suspension, fluids etc and try to make it perfectly original, a car in this condition cannot be neglected!!

See less See more
#3 ·
The 2.0 190/190Es are FAR from being rare - they're actually by far the most common 190 series engine variant, accounting for 757,000 of the 1.8 million 190s built. The 190D 2.0 diesel accounted for another 452,000. So in relative terms it's the 1.8/2.2/2.3/2.5/2.6 models that are the "rare" ones!

The 2.0 may seem rare if you're on this forum (which is North American, where 190E 2.0s were never imported by Mercedes Benz) or even on the 190rev.net site which, being performance oriented, is going to attract more discussion around 190Es with engines of greater than 2 litres.

The 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 single cam motors are effectively the same in most respects anyway - the key difference is cylinder bore/stroke (your 2.0 has a smaller bore but the same stroke as the 2.3, and the same bore but a longer stroke than the 1.8) so most if not all of what you read on these forums that relates to any 8V 190E will relate to your 2.0.

Anyway, welcome to the board and glad you like your car. The 190E 2.0 arguably one of the best in terms of the mix between decent performance, economy, and ease of maintenance. It would have been my choice, except it seemed every one I test drove had been subjected to a life of abuse and neglect. Congrats on finding a good one!

#12 ·
I'd be interested to see some interior pics if you have them ethan. It'd be interesting to see whether you got the manual aircon with the three round knobs we got or the climate control system the US cars got, the separate centre console or the integrated one, etc.

#14 ·
Beautiful car and a stunning interior!

#15 ·
Nice! Apart from the km/h speedometer, it looks more like a UK-spec one than an Aussie one. We got the same cloth trim, but for some reason they didn't put it on the door trims and I don't think I've ever seen a local one with rear headrests and cloth trim.

That Technics is probably the head unit the car was sold with new, but it's not the factory system AFAIK. Generally these things went out the door with a Mercedes Benz-branded Becker system. But then there were countries where Mercedes Benz shipped the car over with no radio and fitted a local unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.