Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1990 190E rough under load

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  apbowen 
#1 ·
Hello, just picked up my first 190 today, I have been working on getting my buddy to sell me this car for the last year and a half. 190 with 125k on the clock, has been sitting since 2006 under a cover in his driveway. Anyway, got it started and the engine idles and sounds great. Took it for a test drive, and at idle, and while in 1st (car is a 5 spd manual) starts off great, but then starts to huck and buck like crazy, and looses power like its not getting any gas. I intend to change out the fuel filter, anything else I should look at?

#2 ·
Are you running it on old gas or fresh gas?

#3 ·
Yes and no, there was almost no gas in it when I picked it up. I put 5 gallons of premium in it. Accordding to the owner tho,it was doing the same thing when he parked it. I am just amazed it started up, and is runs. It idles perfectly, and I can rev it without any problems when it is not in gear just fine. Its only when it is moving and under load.

I am new to this car and Benz's in general. Should I be looking to change plugs, wires, vacuume lines - r all of the above. I am of course looking for the simlest and most direct route since I am really not interested in replacing a bunch of stuff and finally get it right.

Any suggetions are greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Congrat to good scored of W201 with 5 spd ..hard to find..
Your new 190E been sitting too long but starts good according to you then it's a good sign , take time and patient & listen to your new car for awhile yet , gas supply is the place to start from here like fuel pump,filter, intake system (fuel distributor-injectors.etc..) needs attention here ,try to run out of your first 5 gals of gas first and slowly listen to it.No need throw $$$ to thing may not need .Keep us update...:thumbsup::eclipsee_steering:

#5 ·
still having problems, changed the fuel filter, checked all lines, and still having rough running and stumbling at about 2500 rpm. new twist,and idea from another post made a bunch of left and right turns and it stalls only when making rights. very strange. going to go to the shop when I have my day off this friday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.