Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wheel Makes Noise -- Bleed Brakes OR Caliper?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  1984babybenz 
#1 ·
I own a 1991 Mercedes 190e 2.3 (automatic, 4dr) here in Canada. While driving or while applying the brakes I can here a scrubbing / knocking noise coming from the right-rear wheel. On first driving there is nothing but once i hit greater than 60 kph the noise can be heard and remains on while driving, though quieter when driving slower, and gets louder while applying the brakes. There are no other symptoms to speak of -- brake pedal is fine, brake fluid is topped up, checked all pads and caliper.

Someone suggested two things:

1. Bleeding the brakes

2. Replacing the caliper

For my vehicle how exactly do i go about bleeding the rear-right brake?

Thanks

#2 ·
The first thing I would suggest is tearing into it a bit to make sure something isn't worn out or missing, maybe a pin is dislodged, perhaps the dust seal has cracked and the piston/bore is corroded and sticking, etc.

After all if you have to replace the caliper you'll bleed it then. ;)

Good luck.

#3 ·
It is tough for me to identify what is causing the scrubbing / thumping unless the wheel is in fast motion.

How safe is it for me to have the car on jack stands (both rear wheels), have the car in drive, then step on the gas + apply brakes in order to hear - locate the issue with the rear right wheel?

#4 ·
Do you have anti squeal stuff on the back of the pad?

How to bleed the brakes:
-Run a hose from the bleeder valve to a plastic water bottle partially filled with brake fluid
-Have one person slowly push in and let out the pedal while another is keeping the reservoir filled
-When they are pushing down, you open the bleeder valve to let the fluid come out.
-When they begin letting go of the pedal, close the bleeder valve so no air or old fluid goes back in.

Keep bleeding until you see no air bubbles, and the fluid is clear.
If you haven't replaced the fluid in awhile, do this for all four calipers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.