Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190D

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Beverly Sharp 
#1 ·
I'm looking at an '85 190D, Euro with a 2.0 diesel engine and 53K on the car. It is beautiful, inside and out, drives and rides great, and has obviously been meticulously cared for (older couple, like me, who didn't drive it much, but pampered it). However, since the 2.0 engine 190 was not sold in this country, I have a coupla' questions: 1)are oil, air, and fuel filters the same for this engine as for the 2.2 diesel? 2)any other significant differences between the two models I should be aware of? Thank you very much for your input; I appreciate it.
Hemersam

#2 ·
About the same power as a US 2.2 with some emission control devices. All the other mechanical stuff is pretty much the same, except for gear ratios. Download the service manual (FAQ thread) and you can see for yourself. Some euro versions had 4 speed manual transmission. Perhaps the best differences could be a manual climate control system, manual windows, and seats without MB-tex plastic upholstry.

#3 ·
Vishvamata: thanks for the reply; I'll search out the manual tomorrow. This one is automatic and it has manual ac/heat controls, leather upholstery and manual windows; I like it that way. I've dealt quite enough with the ACC system and electric windows in my '78 280SE (money, money, money). Thanks again.
Hemersam

#5 ·
Well, I bought the '85 2.0 190D Euro (56K) and drove it home about 37miles. It drove straight as an arrow, rode great, had ice cold a/c or booger-baking heat, take your pick. Beautiful appearance with leather seats, too, so I think I'll just keep it around. To my surprise, inside the cabin seems a tad quieter than the 6cyl in my '78SE; get the 190 up to 65 and it's definitely quieter. I wouldn't have figured that, but I'm pleased. Now, tommorow, I'll see if there's anything wrong with it.
Hemersam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.