Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

400e brake compatibility concern (190e)

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MTI 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I love reading the forum and have gotten a lot of use out of it, so thanks for that!

I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment in deciding which brakes to go for.
My 1984 190e sits on 17" Lorinser D93 rims and I have read some conflicting experiences when using the 400e brakes (early and late variations) with a 17" wheel.
Has anyone used the 400e brakes with the 17" Lorinser D93? My wheels do have spacers, however, I'm still concerned about the offset being an issue and possibly the ID of the 17" rim. If anyone has used this wheel and brake package together, did you use the early or late 400e caliper and rotor? I can't remember if Mercedes added more material to the OD of their calipers when they made the rotor thicker.

Also...should I use the factory 190e brake line or should I get the 400e brake line?

I have been considering going the easy route and just getting some 300e brakes, it's just that the price is too good for the 400e stuff these days.

Thanks in advance and I thank you for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
17" wheels will usually clear the 400E calipers on a W201, as will 16" wheels.

The OEM "brake line" is the same for the W201 and all W124. Some that have done the transplant find that switching to the 400E master cylinder and brake booster provides a stiffer pedal feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.