Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

rebuild tranny of 16v

859 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  gorillajin 
#1 ·
Hi,

How much does it cost to rebuild 5sp transmission of 2.3 16v?
There is a seller and he said it's hard to put a gear into reverse and 1st. he also said that there is sound coming in the tranny, and he suspects that something broke inside and it makes noise.
Any idea?

Thanks.

#4 ·
if he's selling it i would not pay more then $500 unless he fixes the transmission first. it's a hassle...
there are few places that do repairs on a manual transmission, usually if something is "broken" is side its the synchronizers. aside from them and a handful of small parts there is not much else to replace. in the mean time you can look around for another 5-spd transmission do a one for one swap, just to keep you on the road...rebuilts can go for as much as $1000 not including installation. shop around or see if you can take it to a AAMCO they have lifetime warranties on trannys the rebuild good luck

#6 ·
$5000 with a messed up tranny? talk about being ripped off. i paid 5k for a 190e that was freshly painted had all the bells and whistles and a racing trransmission. is the rest of this car in immaculate condition? have like less then 50k miles?

#7 ·
Well the body looks good in pictures, but the mileage is about over 170k miles..... well usually people think that they can sell 16v for over $5000 since it's rare...but it's 1980's car....no matter how good it is, it can't be better than later models like 90's and 2000's...it depends on how you choose cars....
you can buy 1999 bmw 540i 6sp for $5000.... and I sometimes see e34 M5 for $5000 thesedays....I honestly don't think that 190e 16v better than 1997 bmw 328i...

Anyway, we will see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.