Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

before I tear into things...

625 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DP 
#1 ·
Couple days ago my car started running pretty rough at idle and the ABS light came on. Yesterday morning it wouldn't start.

Today I got it to start, took a bit of cranking, but then ran really rough and low (<5K) idle. ABS light stayed on. At first I was thinking plugs/distro, but when I pressed the accelerator everything smoothed out and it sounded right, other than an pretty regular sharp squeak coming from somewhere up front, like around the water pump/one of the pulleys. Can't tell exactly where.

Thinking logically, these may be different issues, but if you guys know of anything that could tie it all together, let me know.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

#2 ·
Try changing the OVP relay first. Whenever they go bad the ABS light switches on and the car is hard to start. It's located behind the battery.

#4 ·
Please tell me that the OVP is the culprit beyond my SRS light blinking!!!!.... the steering wheel ring/s are fine, the brushes are also fine and I did all the applicable and recommended resets

#3 ·
thanks for the advice.

As might be expected, when I went out to pull into the garage, the car started right up and ran flawlessly. There could be a moisture issue somewhere, because we had some prtty hard rains here this week, but it's been dry the last couple of days.

One thing that did remain was a very loud squeak coming from the engine. It's possibly the fan, but I haven't located it yet. There are lots of moving parts in there. If I rev the engine, the squeak is more frequent. Is the fan supposed to run all the time?

I have a big trip coming up this Thursday, so I'm anxious to get this figured out/rectified before then.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.