Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to clean engine?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ivan820 
#1 ·
Any tips on cleaning the engine? Local shops tell me EPA has outlawed steam cleaning.

#2 ·
Last time i cleaned my engine i used Wd-40 and a rag.

It got the metal bits pretty clean and shiny, but did not do anything to the breather hoses and vacuum lines.

For the breather hoses, i'm guessing maybe shoe polish could do the trick??

I must add though... i did get 1 negative effect after washing the engine with Wd-40. Afterwards she started bogging down a little for maybe 30 minutes (i probably had some excess Wd-40 on the intake or.. something i'm not sure) But after about 30 minutes, the excess wd-40 was burned off and the car was right back to normal. The problem has not resurfaced, and that was about 2 months ago.

...Just what ever you do, don't do what all these guys with new cars are doing, taking a pressure washer to the engine bay. You'll ruin your whole vacuum system and crack god knows how many breather hoses.

#5 ·
i would use simple green or purple power let it sit. then power wash it. it will look like new. however if your in doubt about your wiring then maybe not use my method. thats what the dealer ships do though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.