Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pricing question - 87 2.3 16-Valve...

641 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ChrisR 
#1 ·
Looking at a local 16V that seems like it could be a good deal. I've known the owner for a long time (but haven't talked to him in a few years) so I doubt he's trying to screw me, but want to see what you guys think I should be looking at price-wise.

The below is from the owner, edited a little to condense it. I'm going to look at/drive the car Monday, and will take some pics then.

----------------------------------------------------------
1987 190e 2.3-16, Black, still stock.
107k miles
most if not all of the service records since new (Possibly including the window sticker)
SLS is still in place and still working.
It is a 5-speed.
Interior is in great shape except for 3-4 cracks in the dash.
Exterior will need some work -- looks like it was always parked outside -- there is a couple of spots where the clear coat is gone, and there are some scrapes and dings.
No accidents.
No rust.

Recently replaced the fuel distributor and some other small odds & ends.

The big things that need to be done are these:
Engine/Trans mounts need to be replaced
thermostat housing needs to be swapped for the later model aluminum part (it has a plastic one, which is seeping)
A/C needs to be recharged and leak tested
Seal in the steering rack needs to be replaced.

Overall the car is a good driver. Engine pulls very strong, transmission
shifts perfectly, all electrics except for the lap-timer in the gauge pod
work. it has an aftermarket CD player.
----------------------------------------

For what it's worth, this would be my first MB, but I have worked on many cars before so the issues listed don't worry me any. I like the fact that most, or all, of the service history is there. I don't mind the bad paint, I can respray it later. This won't be a daily driver, it will be restored a bit, and autocrossed and tracked. I found a dash for cheap online so I'd replace that. My experience with German cars has mostly been Porsche's, some VAG, and some BMW. No MBs... Again though, I'm not terribly concerned about working on the car.. he'll get the issues fixed, but that means the price goes up of course.. but I'd like a project anyways.

Thoughts? What should I look for/at? What options are there for performance items for the car (mainly suspension, a little more power would be nice, but I'm more of a track/autocross guy than a straight line racing guy)? I see that Bilstein Sports and H&R sport springs are available, is that the best setup? At least Hawk makes some real track pads for it :)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

-Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
Do you know what the price is? If you want advice, everything you detail in your post kind of hinges on how much the seller is asking for the car. 107k is nothing in terms of mileage, relatively speaking. Nothing I see would neccessarily be a deal breaker (although you are probably looking at replacing the entire steering rack with a rebuilt unit, not a "seal" in the rack). The aftermarket for these cars has pretty much dried up, but there is stuff out there if you have the patience to do it step by step. Post some pics if you get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.