Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Top Speed

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Tan16v 
#1 ·
What's your top speed? All you benz lovers share sum info, trying to figure out my top speed.

Fasted I've had my 201 so far is 110 mph on a hilly road

#2 ·
Living in Texas I have the space to see what she can do but until I get a new differential I wont push her past 90mph. Based on the auto gearing though, it doesnt look like she would do much more than 120mph... Maybe when I swap a 4.2L in and new differential ill get her close to 150.....

#6 ·
Living in Texas I have the space to see what she can do but until I get a new differential I wont push her past 90mph. Based on the auto gearing though,
trust in your car, I've had my auto (pre october 84) up to 110 for a emergency to get home and she handled perfectly. thats how these cars were engineered for good handling and high speed even the auto. take yours out to a long clear straight stretch and open her up, you may be surprised at what your car can really do

#3 · (Edited)
i've got the 1.8l-8v (slowest "E" engine offered for the 190)

last year driving thru Adirondacks (downhill decent) i got her up to around 200km/h (it took a couple of miles, but i got there hehe)

...i was in 5th gear at 5000-5500rpms, so redlining it i'm guessing it could reach 210km/h (125-130mph)

But once again, as stated MANY MANY times before, whats impressive about these cars isn't the top speed but the fact that they were designed to be driven at that speed all day, everyday, rain or shine.

Reliability doesn't even begin to describe these engines...

#4 ·
on the way back from Arizona i got "Pearl" (the wife named her) up to 140 on a long straight away in texas...not that i would do it again mind you. 100-110 wasn't bad...120 was fun...140 blood appeared on my forearm as my wifes nails dug into my arm

#7 ·
...140 mph is as fast as the limiter allows the car to go. Does anyone know how to change that, isn't there a tune?

#12 ·
The North American 16v is governed at 137-140, and it is governed on the fuel pump. The euro 16v's are governed at 147, and if you order a euro fuel pump and change it out. I'm sure you'll be able to reach that speed.

However do I recommend it? Probably not unless you just got a valve job or did an engine rebuild.

#8 ·
I've gone 130mph, she still had more to go, definitely was more than a 2-3 miles, but sadly I ran out of room.

#9 ·
with 170k and ball joints waiting to be replaced any day now im scared to take it over 100. hah but i well know it would do that and then some.

runs awesome, but im just super cautious

#10 ·
Are you W201's being modelist?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.