Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Very Basic suspension question

761 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Runninrebel211 
#1 ·
Hello,

First off, pardon my absolute cluelessness in this subject.

But how does one actually lower his/her car?

Is it simply by changing the springs??

Anything else needs to be changed to drop a car apart for the spring??

For example, if i want to lower my car by 40mm.... i simply need to buy H&R 40mm drop springs?? and that's it?

many thanks,

#3 · (Edited)
How to lower you car....the proper way :p

lol at least i wasn't asked if the car was stalling

be gentle on me now people! lol i'm the kind of guy who drops the car off in the morning hands the keys to the mechanic and tells him, "I dont care, OEM EVERYTHING" and then picks it up in the evening and is "amazed" at how much better the car "feels"

#4 ·
Lowering a W201 is typically accomplished via the coil spring length and the more finely with the spring pads.

Because of the relationship of the parts, precisely calculating the lowering effect of replacing parts is not a mathematical calculation. It's certainly not a 1:1 ratio.

Take into account that aging suspension pieces may have already effected some "lowering."

#6 ·
Anything else needs to be changed to drop a car apart for the spring??
Ideally, you'll want to install new dampers ("shock absorbers") at the same time.

In order to keep your car off the ground, a lowering spring must not only be shorter, but also be "stiffer" (i.e., have a higher spring rate). Your stock dampers generally will NOT be able to properly control springs that are significantly shorter and stiffer than stock. Paradoxically, you may end up with ride quality and handling that's WORSE than stock.

So, the answer is: if you want to lower your car properly, you'll need new springs and appropriately matched dampers to go with them. There are certain "classic" combos, like H&R Sport springs with Bilstein Sport dampers. Try to find a complete setup that's been optimized to work together for your specific chassis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.