Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190E 2.6 Transmission Issue's

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Runninrebel211 
#1 ·
So I have a 1992 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6

Here's the issue. When driving it randomly downshifts, and occasionally disengages gears altogether.

i took it to a transmission mechanic, he doesnt work on mercedes, but he said that the transmission doesn't seem to be the issue as it does engage gears. With the check engine light on he said it's more or less likely a computer module or maybe a vacuum line. But without the right scanner he can't tell.

The fluid level is fine, and the fluid doesn't smell burnt at all, it is normal color.

So what do you guys think the problem is?

#2 ·
With 190Es its usually vacuum lines that cause the tranny to not shift. My 93 would not shift when cold and sometimes it did shift when cold - almost got killed when I rolled into high speed traffic and lost power. It was a bad vacuum seal. I replaced the entire transmission and now its gone. There was a factory recall on them years ago but I think now its too late. Go to a independent Benz place and they can look at it. Make sure they dont charge to look at it. In case you meet some shady ass shops. There are lots with these tough times right now. Dont go to Beshoff since you are in San Jose. I cant recommend anyone for ya but I do know I had my 190E replaced by 1 guy in San Francisco. He is the only guy that does Mercedes transmission in the bay area - everyone else buys it from him or takes a cut off the top and they drive it to him. My guy drove it to him and took 200 bills off the top. Rip off fucker in San Carlos. He refuses to tell us where its at and my dad forgot as he was there one time late at night.

The only time 190Es tranny is fried is when it actually overheated which is rare but crappy owners are out there.

#3 ·
Just checked with my mechanic. The two places along the Peninsula that builds Mercedes transmissions is Peter Schmidt in Burlingame, CA by SFO airport- a German dude and Peninsula Transmissions. You ll have to google them for info. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.