Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Serious suspension problem - Need Advice

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sincity 
#1 ·
While replacing the front brakes yesterday i happened to notice that the upper spring holder (i don't know what it is called) is starting to separate from the frame of the car. If you are looking at it with the tire off it is the lower rear portion that has rusted and separated from the car. The rest of it is quite solid still but i know this cant be good. Has anyone else here ran into this and is it something that can be fixed? I'd hate to think that the car is junkyard bound so any help at all would be appreciated. I'll get a few pictures up tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

#3 ·
We just went through this on the 1986 Euro 190E 2.3-16. The right side spring perch was tearing slightly - not a corrosion problem, just old, I guess or the right side hit something unusual. The car has 265k miles now.

The procedure is costly as you will end up not putting any suspension parts back that have not been checked and had the rubber parts, at least, replaced. We tore both sides apart, rebuilt nearly the entire front suspension and the outer rods of the steering. No sense rebuilding half, and we found when we went to take the suspension apart we could not break the alignment feature fasteners loose, so we cut them off. Ended with new ball joints, and all new adjusting hardware on each A-arm.

Good luck,

Jim

#4 ·
Spring perch (the upside down buckets that the tops of the springs sit in) failure is relatively uncommon in the W201, but seems to plague the W210. Some blame a bad weld, while in others the location makes it prone to rust damage. The "fix" could be as simple as welding in good metal, or be as extreme as shopping for a new car.

#6 ·
Pictures

I was gone all weekend and wont be able to get any pictures until i get her jacked up and get the wheels back off again. Hopefully tomorrow night. I did have a friend look at it and he thinks i should try and find another 190 that is structurally solid and maybe needing a motor and swap my parts into it. I'm not afraid of the work and have proper facilities and tools to accomplish an engine swap but geez, I've only had the car a couple of months and it certainly doesn't drive funny. In fact it is quite a hoot to drive. I'm going to reserve judgment until i get some pics up here and some opinions. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.