Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2.3 16V timing cover removal

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DP 
#1 ·
Greetings, I recently acquired a 190E 2.3 16V which threw it's timing chain. So over the weekend the head came off and is now at the machine shop for a rebuild estimate, however as I am getting ready to remove the timing cover (which is a PITA since the AC and power steering monsterous bracket wraps around part of the the cover) but what shocked me the most is that according to the repair tech sheets, in order to remove the timing cover you have to also remove the oil pan due to the oil pump and pick-up tube are attached to the inside of the timing cover??!! Can anyone confirm or deny the need to remove the oil pan JUST to remove the timing cover? This sounds like a crazy design to me, but wanted to gain advice for anyone else that has had to replace the chain and guide rails on this particular Cosworth engine. Thanks.

#3 ·
It's true. I think it's because the timing cover must be pulled straight out from the crankshaft and you cannot do this with the oil pan installed because the oil pump suction pipe is attached to the front cover and will hit against the front of the oil pan. I found that unfortunately, the most efficient way to go about pulling the front cover is to actually pull the engine from the car. Fortunately, the mercedes engineers made this extremely easy. You can pull the engine without removing the hood and with the exhaust manifold, transmission, and intake still attached along with all accessories. I remember it only taking four hours to reinstall the engine and have it on the road again. Be careful when reinstalling the screws that hold on the oil pan, they are very weak. Good luck!

#4 ·
Yes, my son and I did this about two years ago. He came home from Purdue and as he was driving up the driveway the car had this tinny rattle. Popped the hood, and it sounded like it was coming from the chain box. It was.

The job is quite tedious, as you have begun to realize. The oil pan has to come off as well, and once you get that far, it would be easier to just take the engine out. Here is a link to the saga we went through, presuming linking to another forum won't cause the cyber nannies to to tilt:

1986 190E 2.3-16 Chain Guide Rail Replacement - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Good luck,

Jim

#5 ·
Im in the process of removing the timing chain cover but I cant get it to come loose. How many allen bolts are there that secure the timing cover from inside the head ( the ones below the cam sprockets)? I removed 2 of them and Im not sure if I need to remove the other 2. TIA

#6 ·
On the allen bolts, the 2 middle ones need to come out because they are threaded into the timing chain cover and the 2 allen bolts, one on each side, need to be loosened out to "decompress the head gasket from the timing chain cover and prevent it from getting damaged.

#7 ·
I was able to get the timing chain cover loose but the next difficulty I am experiencing is it doesnt want to slide off the crankshaft. There is a metal ring or sleeve that is on the crankshaft that is blocking the timing chain cover from coming off. How do I remove this metal ring?

#8 ·
It is all in this post:

Yes, my son and I did this about two years ago. He came home from Purdue and as he was driving up the driveway the car had this tinny rattle. Popped the hood, and it sounded like it was coming from the chain box. It was.

The job is quite tedious, as you have begun to realize. The oil pan has to come off as well, and once you get that far, it would be easier to just take the engine out. Here is a link to the saga we went through, presuming linking to another forum won't cause the cyber nannies to to tilt:

1986 190E 2.3-16 Chain Guide Rail Replacement - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Good luck,

Jim
We used the cover to pop that ring off. Just got frustrated and lightly but firmly bumped it against the ring a few times and the ring loosened.

Jim

#9 ·
I got the cover off. I was able to use a harborfreight puller that I slightly modified. All in all, the only colateral damage I suffered during tear down was the broken crank sensor on the front cover.
Upon removal of the timing cover, the only damage apparent was a broken middle timing chain guide rail.....:)...I am very happy with the findings.
Im gonna start cleaning the oil pan, timing cover, engine block and inspect valve lash. Then order parts and start reassembly.....:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.