Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

FWD vs. RWD - Which has better handling?

19K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Funky Mad 
#1 ·
Nothing too specific to MB or 190e' but I was just wondering what is better in regards to hitting turns. I know RWD tend to lose their ass and swing around turns, FWD seems pretty solid and sticks to the road well.

My friends (FWD) civic can hit turns at close to 150 kph, is this possible in a RWD car? For those who have redone their suspension, whats the fastest you've hit a tight corner?

#4 ·
think of it this way,

Ferrari's, porsche's, aston martins, F1 cars.. all the big boys. (lets leave out the lambo 4x4's)
Are they FWD or RWD? there's the answer to your question.

Futhermore, FWD cars cant have more than like 200-250 hp or you get massive amounts of torque steer.

....and lol your friends a lunatic for taking turn at 150 in a civic

#7 ·
Ok, that's good to know. It just seems like a huge difference because when I slam the gas and hit a corner my ass flys out to the point I lose control. I definitely need to put some cash into my cars tires/suspension! I know my tires are shot so that probably has everything to do with it. I need my car to stay glued to the road!

If I put bilstein sports, some track springs and new tires on my 2.6 I should be able hit corners like a champ right?

-

Ivan, your right my friend is a lunatic but you have to be if your serious about racing :D I got respect for his ride its a complete sleeper, looks a bit beat up on the outside, no appearance mods but he's hitting 16 psi turbo (D16 engine), lightened flywheel, straight 3 inch pipe, mendrel bends - no rez no cat - track suspension, azenus falcon tires, data logging, chipped ecu. Its cool because he only focuses on performance, he's beaten new mustangs a Porsche boxter, modded infinitys, audis, and plenty of other unsuspecting victims.

My goal is to beat him in a race one day but seeing as to how he's going to swap a 1 year old K24 into his hatchback that might not happen.. easy 600+ HP once turbo'd :rolleyes:

-

Btw, anyone seen this vid..

Mercedes 190 2.6 Drifting - Car Videos on StreetFire

Made me laugh when he's drifting around the big circle.. this guy isn't too worried about cops.. or other drivers LOL :rolleyes: :D

Same guy but at the track:

#6 ·
Given the same car FWD vs. RWD, any driver/enthusiast would choose a RWD car, the driver has more control over the car, and ultimately it allows each wheel to do their job correctly. The front to turn and the rear to power, but an inexperienced driver can get themselves into trouble with a RWD car.

#10 · (Edited)
FYI: Drifting is the most pointless auto "sport" in existence. Why would anyone want to go around a corner slower than normal, show they have poor traction and waste good tires? Save drifting for the off-road rally racers.
Greatest description of "drifting" i've ever heard lol

I have to add something since i've just seen that clip of the 2.6 drifting.

...that poor car!! lol imagine the strain on those rear wheel bearings!!

#24 ·
I was thinking of buying exactly that car as a winter beater since i will no longer allow the 190 to see a flake of snow.

But SO MANY people have strongly advised me NOT to buy an old audi.
Apparently they are GREAt cars, no question about that, but.... and its a BIG but. They say the electrical systems in this cars break.....often. They're very expensive to repair too soo they may seem cheap....but your first visit to the garage will change your state of mind.

Also, i've heard of timing chains (or belt im not sure) need to be changed every 60 000K's and are proned to snap..... once they do, its not a pleasant thing.

These days, i'm contemplating a E30 318is as a winter beater, i found a few at reasonable prices (bodies are rusted to SH&^*T but mechanicaly they're still good for at least 2 more years without any major repairs) So that could be a possibility.

I'm liking the idea of seeing a 1.8 190 and 1.8 E30 parked in my garage :D

#22 ·
I've tracked, autocrossed and raced (as in wheel to wheel road racing, not drag racing) FWD cars for 10 years. I've also tracked and autocrossed RWD cars for many years.

For everything, I prefer RWD. The only FWD cars that I really enjoy driving are 3rd gen Acura Integras (GS-R and Type-R specifically).

Having said that, I am faster on road courses with my Integra and our Civic race car than I am with my (well now ex) S2000. I'm simply more confident with FWD cars (even though FWD cars I like tend to be more tailhappy than the S2000 was).

For autocross, I am hands down faster in a RWD car than a FWD car. I'm very confident with either setup for autocross.

The only setup I personally dislike, and have never driven an example that I've enjoyed, are AWD cars.

You can make a FWD car handle *very* well, but RWD still has more advantages over FWD. In the hands of an inexperienced driver, both are equally dangerous (assuming a properly setup FWD car, not an understeering pig).

#23 ·
i think Richard Hammond said it best.

FWD= understeer
RWD= Oversteer

Understeer= You can see the tree that's about to kill you
Oversteer= You cannot see the tree that's about to kill you.

I'd rather not see the tree, so i pick RWD! :D

..if only all answers were this simple:rolleyes:

#25 ·
I take it your looking for a fun car. Your best beet is to get a FWD because they have more aftermarket parts. My 90 accord has a complete suspension overhaul I changed everything but the springs and tires (Poly bushings, BJ's, Koni's, bearings, tie rods, strut bars, brakes/pads). It handles great.

Just putting on new tires, springs, and shocks will make it handle better. But if you want to get the best out of it you will need to replace all the bushings, mounts, BJ's, ect..

#26 ·
Well maybe I'm late in the convo but I think it's also a preference thing. I'm more natural with a RWD than a FWD. FWD are harder to lose control in, sure, but when you do, tough cookie to get back on the road. With the RWD, a little gas pedal and twist of the steering and I'm back straight.

As for handling, go for new tires first. My 300E that is literally jacked up on its OEM suspension does some pretty impressive corner, just because of the tire. Remember, that rubber is the only thing between the car and the road. Any other mods is pointless if you can't put it down or handle it properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.