Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190E W201 2.6L Won't Start

14K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Oracle12345 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 190E W201 2.6L Benz that won't start. There is fuel pressure, in fact lots of it. According to a borrowed gauge 100+ psi (8 bars+). There is spark, perhaps a little weak but it's there. I tried spraying starting fuild down the intake and didn't get even a sputter.
It started running poorly and then the engine would stop but start right up and then once back home it got worse, starting for a few seconds and then dying when the accelerator was pressed. I have replaced the OVP device. There is no fuel coming out of the fuel distributor except to the cold start injector. In the old days ether + spark = start but not now. Any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same problem, died coming off ramp off highway. Would not start, did not see any spark when checking, check out coil, it was ok, question is now what else to check. Need help, need to get this fixed for son who has to go back to college in next few weeks. HELP!!!!!

#3 ·
(Man, I hope Drew doesn’t see this thread…)

What’s the status of the cap/rotor EZL/coil?

It’s not common but 103s have been known to develop a leak where the rotor connects to the cam allowing oil into the rotor assembly. Needless to say that can cause the problems you’re having.

#4 ·
jdc1244 is the man

Well I opened up the distributor. Was it really necessary to put a screw on the bottom of the distributor cap right in the way of belt/fan/hoses?
Anyhow you were spot on...the rotor adaptor was broken!!! How does something so big that turns something that small break? Guess someone got a little heavy handed with a wrench. Just to make sure that was the problem I super glued the sucker back together and after the plugs cleared up it ran like a top! Hmmmm how long do you think super glue will hold up? Thanks to spending several years in remote areas I will try almost anything to make a car run another mile.
Thanks for the insight.

#5 ·
Well I opened up the distributor. Was it really necessary to put a screw on the bottom of the distributor cap right in the way of belt/fan/hoses?
Anyhow you were spot on...the rotor adaptor was broken!!! How does something so big that turns something that small break? Guess someone got a little heavy handed with a wrench. Just to make sure that was the problem I super glued the sucker back together and after the plugs cleared up it ran like a top! Hmmmm how long do you think super glue will hold up? Thanks to spending several years in remote areas I will try almost anything to make a car run another mile.
Thanks for the insight.
I'd replace that part if you don't want to plan on getting stranded again. Servicing the distributor on a 2.6 is not fun, but if you invest in a set of replacement parts and do the full service on it, it should last you 100k miles.

#6 ·
When my 93 2.6 started to have started issues I would always change the distributor and spark plug wires and spark plugs. It would go away after that. You have to be on top of things with taking care of these cars or they will break down if you run them into the ground or the lack of changing stuff. Especially for a college car. Make sure you write down what you need to change at what miles for your kids and leave it in the glovebox.

So the starter works? Battery is charged?

#7 ·
if it has fuel, it can be one of only a few things... ignition coil ( crack and could be inconsistant spark, distributor car and ROTOR ( could be pushing false spark), wires ( bad connections), try new plugs too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.