Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

EURO lights recommendation

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  650cent 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings, so I just picked up an 85 190E Cosworth yesterday and have noticed several of my fellow forum members mention euro headlights installed on thier rides. So I am looking for suggestions on where to buy the proper assemblies (LHD set versus a true UK RHD set). There is another string with an Ebay "cheaper" option, but the seller has very "iffy" feedback, and it sounded like the sets that he is selling are the RHD spec set and no suitable for a LHD US based car. Thanks for your help in getting me familiar with my new W201.

#2 ·
You've answered your questions by yourself
Never install RHD on NAM cars even if offered for free
Either High End BOSCH or a bit cheaper DEPOs (thier lenses are glass, durable and correct reflection/refraction pattern)

#4 ·
The ones on ebay are not UK RHD. The RHD ones referred to in the thread were a pair that maddoxfotos purchased from the UK. I have some bookmarks on where to find some quality ones, will let you know when I find something.

#5 ·
Good job Viejo... I have limited access to the internet (surfing is a bit restricted) at the moment
On a side note, have you done with this nasty "bolt" job?

#6 ·
^^^^^^ Import vision has them with clear corners ($205), without clear corners ($185), good prices compared to my price 3 years ago
Don't buy the connectors, they are cheaper at the dealer
Just contact them to see if the headlight lenses are glass:thumbsup: or plastic:crybaby2:

#7 ·
Well, if importvision is no name glass for 185(shipped ?) and the ebay ones are no name glass for 130(shipped), I'd probably go with ebay if I had cash right now. Or wait for some used bosch or hellas to pop up on these forums. I'd still like to know where I can find some bosch or hella euro headlights new...

I wish I was done raed_jan lol, I'll update my thread. If I get parts this week, should have her back on the road by the weekend.

#8 ·
Good choice Viejo, after all, with Hella or Bosch you can rest assured that fitment is 100%
And, damn it maaaaan...I feel for you, you've just acquired it... do it sooner, summer is almost over:eek:

Good Luck V

WOW....600 POSTS ALREADY and got my "Veteran" designation!!!! Man I'm spending lots of time over here

#14 ·
Got a response from Import Vision. They are in fact DEPO's. I'll probably get a set when my car's in good shape mechanically and of course when I have 200 to spend.

Import Vision said:
Hello,
The headlights are manufactured by Depo which is one of the largest lighting
manufactures in the world. Leader in the lighting industry. Depo is the
supplier for companies such as in.pro Germany and FK Germany. Excellent OEM
quality with perfect fit and finish. Please check out our on-line catalog -
Importvision Motorsports - Lighting and Accessories for European, Japanese, and American Vehicles.

Full Glass Lenses. Shipping is $24.88.

Jon - Import Vision Motorsports

#19 ·
I bought DEPOs off ebay for about $160 and i am extremely happy with their quality and how well they support the HID kit, and PIAA plasma yellow H3s.

Id say the most important thing is make sure your getting the actual product pictured. I waited and waited saw the buyer had these pictured they looked beautiful surely enough im very happy no vacuum attachment but does not bother me.

#20 ·
I purchased a set of W201 and another set of W123 Euro headlights from Importvision. The W123 set did not have the vacuum adjusting feature, ok since the car didn't have the knob to adjust them either. They were not the greatest fit, but I did get them in and did make the electrical connection work after a bit of fiddling. They have performed excellently since, and for the price I would do it again.

The W201 set came damaged, with one of the mounting features snapped off. Took a few weeks but Importvision came through and gave me a new set, no cost for shipping or anything. They fit better but don't like the US headlight hardware - either the screws are too long or to big in diameter as they get tight before the fastening job is done. Had to use extra washers and rubber. Again, they seem to work fine a year later. These went on the 1986 Euro and it has the headlight aiming feature. The headlight assemblies also had the feature and it worked just fine.

So, I would recommend Importvision, and will likely be buying another two sets shortly.

Jim

#22 ·
bosch lights are over rated they do the same as the dope and the tyc lights. they look the same and to normal people they look the same...its a matter of paying for a set of used lights for 300 or a set of new depos for 160....

#24 ·
The 1986 190E 2.3-16 was purchased new in Germany - actually ordered through a friend. When the federalization process was completed, I kept the headlight assemblies and reinstalled them.

They are definitely a higher quality. As are the Euro's on the 1988 300E - Hella's. However, all of them end up as junk. The glass lens lasts longer but the heat of summer ruins the seals and they all end up failing because they have moisture in the area of the reflectors, which leads to corrosion, dim lighting and the need to replace them. In Europe you can get all the parts to fix them from Bosch or Hella. Or you used to. I have not seen the lenses, reflectors, gaskets or actuators for sale for a while.

So far the Importvision sets have held up fine. A few more years and I will be able to compare. Without replacement parts for the better quality units, if these hold up for 5 or more years they are a bargain.

Jim

#25 · (Edited)
If you know the part number of the individual seals for the Euro headlights (Bosch/Hella) your local dealer/parts advisor can and should help you out. Just provide them the P/N. That's what I did with my W123 Euro lights (Bosch) which I got for $150 including a set of amber corners, so with the money I saved I got new lenses ($58 each), seals ($12 for front seal, each) and mounting hardware. I'm a happy camper now.

If only I could find a similar set for the 190E... :)

That's the nice thing about original factory parts, replacement parts can be acquired through the dealer. Some items will probably need to be acquired from other sources such as the reflectors. As for aftermarket units - well, you're on your own basically.

#30 ·
The opinions about the headlights pretty much sums up the current situation with the W201. The cost of entry is pretty cheap these days, the cars can be bought for well under $4K these days.

That low entry price and initial investment often makes it hard for these new and younger owners to justify spending their remaining hard earned money on quality parts and service.

My take on this is that the TYC and DEPO units provide a better and safer night illumination than the stock North American sealed beam or halogen bulb units, but they are a compromise, in quality and construction, to the Bosch or Hella units.

#32 ·
The opinions about the headlights pretty much sums up the current situation with the W201. The cost of entry is pretty cheap these days, the cars can be bought for well under $4K these days.

That low entry price and initial investment often makes it hard for these new and younger owners to justify spending their remaining hard earned money on quality parts and service.
this is absolute truth. the same can be applied to other "affordable" cars like B5 chassis Audis. While the initial cost of entry is low, the long-term is not inexpensive if one chooses to continue to maintain the vehicle with OEM quality... which in the long term will net out a car that costs less to maintain.

Case in point, doing $1500 in service with OEM parts on my 190E when I bought it that will last another 100K miles. Worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.