Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

how much to replace noisy lifters?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Runninrebel211 
#1 ·
I have an 87 190D 2.5 turbo with 236000 miles, now, the lifters are veru noisy when the engine is cold, after driving for 35-45 minutes they quite down. I've tried lifter cleaner additive, should I replace the lifters? Also, my a/c dash button stopped working, but the max a/c, (the one above the normal a/c) still works! Any ideas???

#2 · (Edited)
Have you completed a diesel purge yet? If not, that's a great place to start. Run that engine on pure diesel purge, it'll clean everything **** and span. Cleaner that's getting 'watered down' by fuel doesn't do anything spectacular IMO. You should see a 10-20% reduction in noise levels if your car hasn't had one.

Also, check the condition of your engine mounts, hood pad, belt tensioner adjuster and engine shock. Bad engine mounts will cause the engine to clatter around, the hood pad is designed to absorb noise and protect electronics, the belt tensioner helps with noise/clatter and the engine shock does the same. It could be your lifters, but I think other problems may be exacerbating the noise

a/c dash button stopped working
Remove and replace. Posted in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum there's a thread how to undo or remove the center console (or at least I think you've got to unbolt the console to remove the thing). It's just plug and play with a few connectors. Very easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.