Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Screeching Noise from Behind The Dash

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  zizzyzuzz 
#1 · (Edited)
When it gets really cold (-10F or colder today it was -37F)outside sometimes I get a really loud screeching noise coming from behind the dash. I don't know why but it seems like it is sort of related to speed. It won't do it when I am going slow but once I speed up to say 25mph+ it starts to do it, but then goes away when I slow down to less than 25. It sounds like it is coming from behind the instrument cluster, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this issue.

Thank You,
Jordan

Forgot to mention, that it does not seem like the climate control is causing it because I turn it off and it does not stop.

#5 ·
OMG!!! This happened to me this morning!! It was really cold outside and I was driving at...lets say 40km/h, so I decide to speed up like at 50km/h and I hear this loud noise coming from behind the dash like you said... I was like what the **** is that so I slow down and it stopped. It never did it again so I guess its not that big a problem.

For sure it has to do with the cold cos it was like -25c outside

#7 ·
...humm same here, when its really cold i get a little buzzing noise from behind the dash!

..only happens if the car is parked outside in the cold though, if i take it out of my garage into the cold it doesn't do it.

Never really worried much about it, told myself its normal for a 20 year old car to make the occasional noise here and there, ..she's stil bulitproof!

#10 ·
people its the ODOMETER...........why u asked? well, mine did that years ago and IIRC, my odometer got stocked. i paid $57 to fix it. so everyone check your odometer and see if its still working. just my .02

#14 ·
Screeching Noise from Dash

Screeching noise happened to me too. -5 Fahrenheit. When I pushed the trip meter reset, the screech lessened. It finally quit on its own, only to leave the right gauge light and the left turn indicator out. They both worked fine before this.
Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.