Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

89 drumming over about 50mph

821 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jester1a 
#1 ·
Just bought this car that had been sitting for 4-6 months and, after replacing the center bearing and carrier which were bad, the car starts to get loud over 50 and gets louder the faster you go- It might have done that before, never had it up to speed before the repair. Also some vibration is present. The former owner ( quasi- used car dealer) had the rear vibration damper replaced prior to selling it. Now the question is would using 1 socket head bolt with the other 5 being normal hex bolts be enough to cause this? I checked the front/rear alignment marks and they are in the correct position.

Also the electrics are becoming scary. The brake pad wear light comes on sometimes and then the wiper starts on its own in intermittent mode. While the wiper is in motion the light goes off. Also Just today as I switched off the car after a horrible test drive, the radio stayed on. After several tries with the radio staying on, I hit the rear window defogger switch(don't ask me why) and the darn thing turned off and the antenna finally retracted. I'm thinking a/several poor ground connections. Does anyone think that is the right approach or have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Jerry

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm, yeah I'd start by checking your grounds. There might also be one or more relays that have gone south on you.

As for the vibration, is the vibration occurring in the steering wheel? If so there could be a number of causes, from a bad tire or bent rim, to some other suspension problem. Start by taking the car to a Firestone/Bridgestone, Les Schwab, or similar store, and have them do a full alignment on it. Firestone/Bridgestone will do a lifetime alignment for about $100, and then you can have them do it again many more times, completely free, which is helpful for troubleshooting. Also have them do a vehicle safety check while they're at it because it's free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.