Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1990 190e 2.6 check enging light

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  355190E26 
#1 ·
I bought the car awhile back and it's mostly great. All the history with 135K miles. The check engine light did not work so I replaced it and now found that it won't go off. My car came from California and I understand it has a diagnostic connection (maybe they all do)? Maybe something needs to be reset or maybe there is a real problem. What scan tool is needed or what other information should I be looking into? Don

#2 ·
Hi, Don, and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to slide you over to the W201 forum which is the one for your classic Benz, I'm sure the folks over there can answer your questions and give you lots of information.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#3 ·
Probably the previous owners of the car disconnected this useless indicator because it was on all the time distracting them because it was indicating nothing. You really don't need that indicator if you check your oil frequently and generally inspect the wiring and vacuum lines under the bonnet. If the car is running fine, there is probably nothing wrong with it.

#5 ·
In California you can't pass your emissions test by disabling the CEL, since the testing station checks to make sure it lights up briefly when the car starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.