Reverse
Neutral
Drive

am i wrong to say
"2" = second gear?
"3" = third gear?
"Drive" = automatic 4 gears?

i tried to launch the car at "2" today and the car wouldnt run pass 25-30km/hr
and i launched the car at "3" and i believe i experienced a gear change?

Am i missing some information?

#5 ·
I have read this " your car will start of in 2nd" a number of times now. Not true for mine, 1992 2.3 auto. From a standstill it always starts off in 1st when in 3rd or D.

D = 1 - 4th. But it will never down shift to 1st again unless stop completely or you are going slow enough and with full throttle ( passing gear ) it will down shift to 1st, but YOU can't manually get back to 1st.
3 = 1 - 3rd or if in D and 4th it will now down shift to 3rd.
2 = From a standstill it will hold in 1st. Or you can down shift to 2nd if below the Two Dots on your Speedo. If you have not noticed, there are MAX Shift Points on your Speedo.

What is annoying is starting off in 2 ( in 1st ) but you want to manually shift up when you want to shift but not at full throttle. While in 1st and you push forward she will shift to 2nd then depending on throttle she will quickly shift to 3rd.mmm

After all these years I recently found if starting off in 2 ( 1st ) push forward and let her shift to 2nd , THEN quickly pull back again to 2 running up in 2nd then go to the 3rd when you want to.

Dan

#7 ·
According to the Haynes manual;

[Driver control of the transmission is by a selector lever and a two-position switch. A control pressure cable, operated by movement of the accelerator pedal alters the hydraulic control pressure in the transmission, according to throttle position. The selector lever has a "drive" position, and a "hold" facility on 2nd and 3rd gear. The "drive" position ("D") provides automatic changing throughout the range of all forward gear ratios, and is the position selected for normal driving. An automatic kickdown facility shifts the transmission down a gear if the accelerator pedal is fully depressed. The "hold" facility is similar to the "drive" position, but limits the number of gear ratios available - ie, when the selector lever is in the "3" position, only the first three ratios can be selected; in the "2" position, only the first two can be selected, and so on. The lower ratio "hold" is useful when traveling down steep gradients, or for preventing unwanted selection of high gears on twisty roads. Two driving programs are provided for selection by the switch; "economy" or "standard". With the switch in the "standard" ("S") position, the vehicle will move away from a standstill in 2nd gear with a light throttle, or 1st gear with full throttle. With the switch in the Economy" ("E") position, the vehicle will always move away from a standstill in 2nd gear, and the gear change points will occur at lower driving speeds.]

I don't have the switch mentioned above in mine (1986, 2.0L) and it works as described above in "S" mode, always takes off in 2nd unless you stamp on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.