Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

16v problems...am considering buying one

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  V12StealthHunter 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,

I am looking at one as a driver and wonder what maintenance and service I should expect the average car to need to get it to nice condition. Any big ticket items a 100,000 mile vehicle should expect to have wrong with it?

I have a good mechanic but don't want to get stuck with major a bill right after I buy it.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Two words. SIXTEEN VALVE.

Nub. Headgaskets last a bit longer on the 16 and 2.3 lol.

Major issue you want to look at is if the timing chain tesnioner is an updated tensioner or the older model. If its the odler modeal tensioner that should be your 1st job.

2nd is suspension depending if it has sls.

Do a compression test on the car before you buy to make sure each cyl holds psi

#5 ·
In NC. Owner doesn't seem to know much about the vehicle and has only owned it for a year.

What do you fellas think about this 16v and his answers to the questions?

Thanks.
Hard to say... you didn't really say much about it. How much is he asking? If you have a mechanic and are serious about the purchase, pay him an hours wage to have a look if you are worried.

#7 ·
Car looks in excellent condition. That being said, the issue is with the engine. I would want a compression test and any documents related to service. As mentioned above, the timing chain and valve train are the critical elements to the value of this particular car. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.