1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Kynyption 
#1 ·
#2 ·
dont think so, if i remember correctly from my last brake job. someone confirm

#4 ·
thats what i say, i usually use bendix i might go with oem next

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
common in mercedes owners? i use bendix pads ive never heard of mintex till now. i used cheap pads on my old 85 and i regret it. it was probablly one of the causes that caused the car not to stop right causing me to slamm into a mazda.

#10 · (Edited)
Why do you all keep talking about "cheap" pads? The ill-informed responses I've gotten on this topic are a little surprising. Ever heard of Pagid? They are Mercedes OEM. The same company that makes Pagid, makes Mintex (and Textar). Either way, I'm going to buy these once I know how many sets I need to do my rear wheels.

"Mintex friction linings were chosen by Henry Ford for the Model T, making Mintex one of the very first suppliers of original equipment parts to the automotive industry."

#12 · (Edited)
Look at the price, and price other pads for your car.

Which ones? The "performance/track/pro" brands? I want standard duty/OEM style pads. Many of these overpriced "performance" pads don't stop any better than OEM (I'll post an independent study asap). Tirerack (a VERY trusted site) lists an OEM pad for our car for $25 that stops as well as a $60"performance" set they sell! (according to their reviews)
People shouldn't assume quality based on "internet/eBay" prices. Look at the $5 speakers in the other thread for proof of that. The MSRP for these Mintex pads may be twice what they're selling for on eBay... I honestly don't know. But simply typing MINTEX into google or the search box for this forum gives you at least SOME info to make a decision with, rather than a knee-jerk reaction based simply on price and name recognition.

I appreciate GREATLY all the good advice and info I get from this forum, but the replies I was getting had no basis in fact (quality of the MINTEX pads) as far as I could see. Let's continue to help each other out, but let's form opinions based on facts :)

#14 ·
ya those charts are probably bs. never go cheap on your brakes. regardless of what they put out for ads or pay other sites to tell their customers you never know the truth when buying online so take advice from the 190 veterans.

still dont see mintex on the chart above.

#16 ·
I don' know why I'm even bothering to reply to your post, but here you go...
JUSTNET - Brake Pads
BS?
I'll listen to any advice, even a "190 veteran", if their comments are based on facts. The results of these tests are there are no winners when it comes to brake pads. A brand may do good on one car and poorly on another. It may do well on one test and poorly on another. Brake pad design is a game of compromise, pitting performance, comfort and economy against one another. There is no magic bullet (or pad).

#17 ·
Dude I will not but a $5 speaker nor a $15 break pad. The speaker was a FORD over run or a discontiuned. After all of the fabrication to make it is it worth it? I am particular regarding purchases, and I consider myself a educated consumer. If you feel strong about your reaserch... then BUY it! You asked a question and we answered it to the best of our ability. We answered it based on the facts of what we have bought and what we have experenced.

#18 ·
I asked if the pads would fit my car. I never asked for people's opinions on their quality, because I knew they were as just good as OEM. Unfortunately, people side-stepped my actual question and just gave a bunch of uneducated, knee-jerk reactions based on their price (which has NOTHING to do with their quality), apparently without doing any research (just like the $5 speakers). The stock brake pads on the rear of this car are TINY and their design is 20 years old! They shouldn't cost as much as bigger pads that we're used to seeing on cars these days. If people want to spend 3 times more on "performance" pads that don't actually perform any better, more power to 'em! The US economy thanks them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.