Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What did you do to your Benz today?

1M views 6K replies 470 participants last post by  mharlos1 
#1 · (Edited)
Lifted this thread idea from Vortex... I'll start.

Installed a new hood pad.

See less See more
#2 ·
hehe, looks like im not the only one who is on there all the time =p well what i did to my 201 was hoped that it would start this morning and it did lol, and also got word of the GLI and it is officially my car =] AND it has the 2.0 liter motor in it too =D

#4 ·
Started Wednesday to replace the Serpentine Belt for the 2.6, after removing the belt I checked all the pulleys to see if they turned okay and did not make any bearing noise. The Idler Pulley had a little play and the bearing sounded very very dry and the Accessory Belt Tensioner Pulley had no play, but did have a little bearing noise. So I had to order from Autohaus the two pulleys plus the covers for both, used two-day delivery ($9.38) came Friday. Also had to go the Mercedes dealer to buy a new bolt for the Idler Pulley, it is a hex type where you use an 6mm hex wrench to remove, I had a major problem with that bolt, someone in the pass tried to remove it but did not have the correct hex wrench size, therefore the wrench could get a good insert. My options where:
1) Remove the whole fan clutch bearing bracket and have the bolt drilled out, this had several problems associated with it, one was that one of the bolts for the bracket was behind the pulley, maybe hard to get to that one bolt out, note I did not remove the radiator.

2) Called in a welder, and have a metal handle welded on the end of the bolt and then remove the bolt by the handle. Note the bolt in recessed in the pulley, cannot put a vise wrench on it.
3) Maybe put JB Weld on the end of the bolt and insert the wrench and let it dry overnight and then give it a try.
4) Ask the "Car" gods, and hope they would intervene and solve the problem!!

I used options 4 and just asked the "Car" gods for help, I gave them a gift by buying two power steering filters for the car.

Friday I give it one more try with my 6mm hex wrench and the bolt came off!!!!

OH PRAISE THE CAR GODS!!!!!

Now today I am doing nothing since it is very cold here and I do not want to work on the car. I am just enjoying life (with the help of Hennessy Cognac), all praise to the car gods!!

#7 ·
started last week, now its 98%of a car, new harness, runs better, need to install the seats and the hood and im done.

#12 ·
its done, sooo happy, about 4 hours of labor to finish that four hours took a week...lol i'll post some pics soon, need to find my camara

#13 · (Edited)
Trunk Star

I got me baby a new trunk starlet (9,85cm in diameter, slightly bented upper side, chromed plastic), I'll mount it by monday. Very happy...

#15 ·
rjb190e said:
ebay special. $50 shipped

got mines a few months back with intentions of installing it (never got to it) for 35 off ebay shipped. prices suddenly sky rocketed

#16 ·
One thing leaders to another syndrome. As I have posted about changing the serpentine belt and the problem with one pulley bolt, my mind is telling me to go the extra step and clean all the dirt from the front of the engine and brackets which cannot be seen when the fan shroud, fan blades and the two pulleys are in place. Also I can see dirt on the engine cover below (I use the fluid evacuator pump to remove the oil for oil changes so I have not seen the condition of that before). So now my plan is to clean all that, but my wife is home (car is in garage and it is the 20 degrees), so I have to wait until she is not home because she will not like what I am going to do in the garage, which is to spray degreaser on the front of engine area and hose the front of the engine down via hose connected to hot water heater. I have pointed out to her that she has a Macy's gift certificate "why not go buy something"? But no luck yet.

#21 ·
milosz87 said:
so you dont have to drive far??
I'm not afraid to drive... There's a car or bike show every weekend down here from Lewes to Ocean City when the weather is warm. It's just a great area with a lot to do at night, good streaches of highway at the coast for crusing and I know all the police here if someone gets out of hand with driving.

... and I don't have to drive far.

#24 ·
I completed the serpentine belt replacement today for 2.6 without removing radiator. Just one tip, both the accessory belt tensioner pulley (smooth one) which I replaced and the idler pulley (grooved one) which I replaced have a plastic cap that covers the center bolt (same cap is used for both pulleys). The location of the accessory belt tensioner pulley make it very hard to get your hand in to force the cap on, but if you heat the cap with a hair dryer, it goes on with little force. Nice not to hear any noise from the front of engine.

#26 ·
Dusty`NZ said:
fitted mudflaps to the car , look a bit agricultural , but so does the cow poop.
those mud flaps look kool , whered u get them?