Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1988 2.6 (Brakes) ABS Light

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pft46 
#1 ·
Can anyone help with this one?
Recently when applying the brakes, more especially at low speed I hear a strange sound like a spring vibrating, my brake pedal drops about a inch or so and I feel some vibration thru the pedal. The brakes still work. After this happend for a couple of days the ABS light illuminated on the dash. The brakes still work okay. The car has done 117,000 miles and generally runs great.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks...Shanetom

#4 ·
ABS function 560SEL '91

I have read the previous posts on this thread, and am hoping to learn more.
I have a 560SEL 1991 that has begun to shudder/vibrate when the brakes are applied. New tires last year, balanced, rebalanced, and rebalanced again.... recently it was aligned after a new idler arm installation. Recent new front rotors and pads, as well. The car drove as though well aligned before and after all this.
The tire re-balancing corrected the vibration problem at first. More recently I added the new rotors, and no improvement of the vibration with those.
I do not get an ABS light....ever. Not even when the ignition is in accessory position. (I cannot remember it ever lighting up) (is there a fuse related to this? my fuse chart has 'disappeared', but I will go through all of them)
A Euro auto mechanic noted that one of the tie rods would eventually need to be replaced...not really bad now, but said the idler arm was very loose and should be replaced...NOW. After that little exam and analysis the car started shuddering and knocking with the brakes applied instead of a simple vibration. I did replace the idler arm, and the front end was aligned at that time(supposedly)
The vehicle has the same problem without the ABS controller in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.