Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mysterious start problems W168 automatic

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  forrera 
#1 ·
Hi all, as far as I remember this is my first thread!
I own a Mercedes (w168) A class 190 automatic from 2003. For the last 6 months I have a start problem that is getting worst. At first happens once in a while and after 10 minutes I could start perfectly. I live in South Portugal (Algarve) and we have a mild climate. In mine opinion I did everything I think could be the reason for these erratic start problems. Changed the battery, checked the earth connection to the starter motor. Checked the triple pin socket with a voltmeter to see if power is reaching the starter motor by starting. Checked all fuses and relays. By starting I can hear the Bendix and sometimes the starter turning very shortly like it has no power enough to turn more. One could suspect some problem with the starter. Strange is that after a good start the car will start perfectly for the rest of the day!
I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to solve this problem.
I already looked in Bert Rowe’s site to find similar problem but without success.

#4 ·
in an automatic a class, usually the problem is the electronics inside the starter caused by a weak battery, they have memory effect. You'll have to replace it sooner or later.

#5 ·
Sorry Forrera, for answering so late but I’ve been away for a while.
I heard before about this kind of problems concerning electronics of the starter solenoid. It’s only strange that the memory effect only happens by first morning start and after that it will start perfectly during the rest of the day???!!!
Do you think there is a way of deleting the memory effect or is foolish what I’m asking?
Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.