Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W168 170CDI Oil change

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  alex2988 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bought a W168 170CDI (automatic gearbox) year 2001 and I want to proceed with the fist oil change.
My problem is that I don't know what oil the last owner used, and to be honest I don't know what king of oil to use(10W40? 5W40?) and also the brand of the oil.

Can anyone help me with some tips or redirect me to some threads on the forum where such a discussion has been made.

I would like to mention that the car has 254 000 KM.

Thanks !

#2 ·
Hello,

I own W168 A160 petrol (1999) and from the time this car is mine I am using only Castrol Magnatec 10W40 A3/B4. There is Castrol Magnatec Diesel 10W40 B4, which suits your diesel engine.

The 5W40 oils are also good enough but there are not benefits from them if you are not driving in some very cold climate country. They are also more expensive and really if you are not driving through cold climate they are not worth for you.
Also when you change such oil you don't know the brand - drain a bit and mix it with the new oil you will put. If the mixture does not change its properties (color, viscosity etc) then you can change the oil with the new one. If the mixture goes white or changes its color, then you need to flush out fully the old oil from your engine before putting the new oil.
After such a change I also recommend you to pass a bit less miles before next change. Let say that usually it should be changed after 10 000km, but first time you can pass 8 000km, change it again, and than after already sure that the oil in your engine is good to pass 10 000km and more (without exceeding the recommended intervals by the manufacturer).

I recommend you, if you don't know the history of this car to change the oil of the automatic gear box as well. It is expensive but vital for normal work of the gearbox.

Take care!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.