Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1998 A-140 dies when warm - restarts 20 min later HELP

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  forrera 
#1 ·
Hello all,

New to the board, 1st time Mercedes owner here (1998 A140) and have a problem I am looking for help with.

She starts fine, esp when cool in the mornings. But if she runs over 30 minutes and it's warm out, it will die. And she dies instantly, no sputtering or chugging and all the lights on the dash come on.

My buddy says it's indicative of a electrical issue vice a fuel one because it dies instantly.

Then when I try to start her, she won't turn over. But, if I let her sit for 20-25 minutes, she'll cool down and will start like nothing ever happened. Then she'll run again until she gets hot again.

Some friends have suggested it could be one of the cube-shaped relays by the battery (right side, front floorboard) or it could be the electric control module board (under the hood on the firewall).

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about how much it would cost if I took it into the dealership to fix? Currently live in Stuttgart, Germany.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

See less See more
#4 ·
Correct, once it dies it will not turn over. The starter tries, it just doesn't fire. Let it sit 15-20 minutes, it starts right up.

After I posted this yesterday, I did some additional research and found out about the crankshaft position sensor issue.

I plan to replace that this weekend and will report back if this fixes it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.