Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Remote Entry Antenna Location

37K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  nvrau 
#1 ·
Intermittently, my remote entry either doesn't work at all, it takes several attempts or sometimes it works straight away. I can see the LED blink through the red lens with each press of the lock or unlock button and I replaced the batteries. Both remotes at in the same manner and this start with both at the same time. I noticed it work better from the driver's door than anywhere else.

My next attempt is to check the antenna connection, if there is one. I understand the module is in the spare tire well near the vacuum pump. Is there an external antenna?

#2 ·
remote aerial is on top of the speedometer cluster, white wire inside the brown tube with 2 orange gromets on the left of the picture.
the other end of the wire goes to immobiliser/central locking module under the steering wheel.

Attachments

Reactions: nvrau
#3 ·
Thanks for the input & photo!

In this car, the antenna goes to a bundle of wires which go across the top of the dash to the other side. Is this the module you are referring to? It has the wire which goes to the key barrel immobiliser.

PS: If you have any idea where this is meant to be properly mounted, please share. It is hanging loose and I don't see an obvious place where it is intended to go.

Attachments

#4 ·
it clips onto the side of the steering column bracket in 2 holes.
if the problem is intermittent I find keeping the copmartment under the steering wheel empty improves the situation.
any one can try this, stuff the shelf under the steering wheel with cd boxes, keys and other metallic things and you'll notice the distance to operate the remote will be reduced dramatically.

#6 ·
This is in relation to your other post so I’m replying here as its more relevant.

Thanks for this assistance, Dec!

Since my post I was able to find a bit more information in relation to door lock & alarm arm/disarm. It appears everything can be accessed in the spare tyre well at the vacuum pump.

My car doesn't have an alarm, it only has keyless entry which is working intermittently. I am about to install a remote start alarm and I am just looking for others to share their successes, nightmares or failures within this space.

Have you been down this road?
No, I have no experience of fitting that type of alarm.
Have you determined what part of the central locking is intermittently faulty, if the key fob is faulty then the new alarm will solve that problem as it will have its own remote control, however, if your vacuum pump or perhaps some other part of the central locking is faulty then the new alarm will inherit that fault.

Be aware that your key contains an immobiliser chip so this will have implications with a remote start set up of the new alarm.
There is some useful information here… Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Hazard warning, car keys, re-synchronizing remote keys, Central locking.
And here… Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage

Also, see Synchronising the locking system, here… Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Questions and answers on Mercedes-Benz 'A' Class W168 variants

Dec

#7 ·
@Dec - Thanks for the additional information.

I was able to determine the cause of the interference. It was my FM adapter I use to play my phone's media through the stereo. It connects to my phone via USB (and charges it) and I have it wired to constant power so it interferes with the remote signal when I am (un)locking the car.

Once I removed it all was good... It's now further from the antenna and my reception is working well. I still haven't found what/where the antenna plugs in, though.

#10 ·
On a W202, the top two lines of the rear screen heater are for the radio antenna and the receiver for the RF for the remote fob, I would think your car is the same system but could be wrong about that given what is said in post #2 above.

You could try disconnecting it to see if the RF remote fob stops working, it does seem to have two antenna type leads going into it on the left hand side, see photo below.

Dec

Picture source… Bert Rowe's-Mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info.Services 5th door (Boot Lid)

#11 ·
On a W202, the top two lines of the rear screen heater are for the radio antenna and the receiver for the RF for the remote fob...
I can confirm the amplifier in the picture is only the radio antenna. One cable goes into the read hatch and the other down the left side of the vehicle to eh radio.

The remote antenna with the orange grommets, pictured above, goes to the module on the steering column. It too is pictured above.

Thanks for all your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.