Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Start Error - New Key from MB

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  billy-whizz 
#1 ·
Hi, I lost my W168 A-Class Key and have paid £195 for a replacement (Part number: 1687600906).

The key will not start the car (Start Error on the instrument cluster). MB have advised me they need to complete diagnostics at £120 an hour with a one hour minimum fee.

I have spoke to other MB dealerships who suggested I try pressing buttons while the key is in position two/pointed at the rear view. The MB dealer who currently have my car will not do this without me paying for engineer time.

I have confirmed the key comes coded and the old key worked fine. Do you think this combination of pressing buttons will work? If so exactly how do I do that?

If not can you suggest anything else? Why would the old key work but the new key which is factory coded doesn't?

Please, any help or advice would be amazing. :crybaby2:

#2 ·
Mercedes have called to say the key module is faulty. I'm not convinced, the car worked perfect before I lost my key.

Anyway, the module bill is far more than the value of the car so having MB fix the fault is out of the question.

I will post the diagnostic sheet once I've picked it up.

#5 ·
for one reason or another some people replace the key, ecu and lock set on the car, then eventually sell it. it is so common when you enquire about immobilizer related enquiry at the dealer they sometimes ask you if you have the original key that came with the car.
so probably they supplied you with an original key, while your car has a replacement key, immobilizer and ECU.

#6 ·
I got it sorted... £150 for someone to rip out a load of wires and boxes which used to sit behind my steering wheel. Ah well, it's working now...

Yes it's a W168 A190

Forrera - That is the only thing I could think of that would stop the new key from working. But why could MB not find that out? They told me I needed a new control unit (I'm guessing this is the ECU?)

£500 in total... :(

#7 ·
Why buy it in the first place??

I've just bought a 2006 A150. It has a few niggly issues, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON I MEET who had/has a Mercedes moans about their electrical problems --- every single one!! All have had problems with their keys and all complain about the rip-off dealers.
My other cars are Jaguar, Lexus and a Chrysler 300C. All work fantastically well. The Jag & Lexus have been with us for 12 years each and neither has ever played up. When I have solved the problem with this baby Merc I shall sell it and never look back again - I'm sticking to Japanese reliability - the Lexus is perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.