Blower resistor - help - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W168 A-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2010
Blower resistor - help

I have A 170 CDI and problem with blower fan. I found problem and it is a blower resister. Problem is with resister on this, and I would like to exchange them but I do not know the values of this resistor. Does somebody knows what are the values ( Ohm ) of this. I tried whitout resistor ( direct wire ) and it works... but this unit is too hot..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
marek0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: A 190 Elegance 2001 Gasoline
Send a message via ICQ to brujobrc Send a message via MSN to brujobrc
where are the resistor? out of green maybe was a diode. The device have any code? How is the conection of these?
brujobrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brujobrc View Post
where are the resistor? out of green maybe was a diode. The device have any code? How is the conection of these?

Yes..Maybe is diode... check this link... I would like to repair this..

Bert Rowe's-mercedes-Benz 'A'-class info. Heater Blower/Fan Units fan controls ,heater controls , resister replacement.
marek0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek0007 View Post
So I think about of these device maybe is a Thermistor. The conector have 4 pin two for the diode and two for thermistor. Tomorrow I see in one manual and post it

Edit: I saw the manual "Autodata" The block R6 resistors are 3 in serial. Pin 3-4 are the addition of 3. Pin 3-2 are one resistor. Pin 1 and 4 the other resistor and pin 2 - 1 the central/external resistor.

Now I think each resistor are the velocity level. If you can measure one of these I think as the other are same. value. When one resistor is switch on the engine start one velocity, When the R1+R2 are twice the velocity are too slow, and when the 3 resistor R1+R2+R3 are join then is the first velocity. All off was the max of velocity

Last edited by brujobrc; 06-20-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

There is a diode in this device, the little round shiny thing on the end. There is also a resistor in the device, The green ceramic coating. In the other benz blowers there are a couple of resistors in the 0.1 and 0.7 ohm range. This is to restrict the voltage in the fans to below about 11 volts. In some systems the alternator/regulators run from 14.2 - 14.7 volts, way too high for a good battery. In the better diesels, they run in the 13.75 to 13.95 volts. Try a 5-7 watt ceramic wire wound resistor in the 0.25 ohm range. If the voltage to the fan is low, drop to as low as 0.08 ohms with the same rating, or go higher to the same target voltage.

The reason for the back diode would be to keep from kicking a spike back to other sircuitry when the switch is opened to turn off the fan.

Hope this helps!
Tom Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardy View Post
There is a diode in this device, the little round shiny thing on the end. There is also a resistor in the device, The green ceramic coating. In the other benz blowers there are a couple of resistors in the 0.1 and 0.7 ohm range. This is to restrict the voltage in the fans to below about 11 volts. In some systems the alternator/regulators run from 14.2 - 14.7 volts, way too high for a good battery. In the better diesels, they run in the 13.75 to 13.95 volts. Try a 5-7 watt ceramic wire wound resistor in the 0.25 ohm range. If the voltage to the fan is low, drop to as low as 0.08 ohms with the same rating, or go higher to the same target voltage.

The reason for the back diode would be to keep from kicking a spike back to other sircuitry when the switch is opened to turn off the fan.

Hope this helps!
Is sure about the kicking a spike back, but need 3 diodes one for each velocity. In a circuit diagram the diode isnt see it. The device is connected into a microprocesor control unit, I think about it regulate the velocity/battery charge, is not, I ear the changes flow sound.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

OK! If there are 3 resistors in the module and it plugs into a uP link in your model. It would mean that the microprocessor selects the speed and the thing that looks like some diodes i have worked with is an electrolytic cap. Again this is to cut down spikes from the brushes in the motor.

If possible measure the 3 links to the + (Clear end) of the cap) this point should go to the motor. If there are 3 resistors in parallel or selected at different times then the value can be approximately calculated of the bad resistor. Too high a value and the speed will be slow. Too low a value and the speed will be fast.

The more information we can find about this little thing, the easier it will be to fix the problem. it is doubtful that anything will be blown unless the power is bypassed to the shell end of the capacitor (-).
Tom Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardy View Post
OK! If there are 3 resistors in the module and it plugs into a uP link in your model. It would mean that the microprocessor selects the speed and the thing that looks like some diodes i have worked with is an electrolytic cap. Again this is to cut down spikes from the brushes in the motor.

If possible measure the 3 links to the + (Clear end) of the cap) this point should go to the motor. If there are 3 resistors in parallel or selected at different times then the value can be approximately calculated of the bad resistor. Too high a value and the speed will be slow. Too low a value and the speed will be fast.

The more information we can find about this little thing, the easier it will be to fix the problem. it is doubtful that anything will be blown unless the power is bypassed to the shell end of the capacitor (-).
Yes, in other model (03.01-) the 3 resistor are in parallel and the microprocesor switch the RP (R parallel) Pin 1 R common. Pin3, R1. Pin 4 R2 and Pin 2 R3.

As each velocity will be the double of the one RP maybe the double either so when the microprocesor switch one, two or three resistor the RP will be the new R value.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W168 A-Class