Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Next GLE

13K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  Winter101 
#1 ·
Folks - When is the next redesigned GLE expected? Given the current model was introduced in 2012 MY, I am going to assume the next one will be a 2019 MY introduced in the Fall of 2018. Is this correct? What have you all heard?

Thanks

#2 ·
2019 W167 GLE

This is obviously a very old post, but will become more relevant shortly. Testing of the new GLE is ongoing and has moved to the public roads as of last December. I believe the W166 US specs were revealed in June 2011. I would expect this one should follow a similar timetable with release this Summer with Fall delivery. That is unless any hiccups are encountered with the new straight-six mild hybrid powertrain. I'm hoping this is the schedule because I'm dying to replace my 2012!

#3 ·
The general 'rule' is 6 years but, Mercedes' C-Class W204 that was launched in 2007 even crossed-over the introduction of its W205 replacement which was launched in 2014 so, that's more than 7 years. It looks like that's happening with the new bubble-back (fastback) GLE sort of being what GLE is morphing to, albeit at a premium price. But, if you don't want to give up cargo capacity and don't need 3-row seating (GLS), I don't see the current ML/GLE going away in next year (as it's the best MB has produced so far) until a new down-sized GLS in introduced.

#4 ·
2019 W167 GLE Reveal

All I've seen recently is that the production version of the new Maybach X167 GLS is to be unveiled at the LA show this November (MotorAuthority.com). Does that mean the regular GLS will be unveiled first? Will the GLE and GLS drop at the same time? Press days for NY show start 3/28 with the show starting 3/31. The US Dealer Ordering Guide for the W166 came out 6/7/11, so a NY reveal would put it on the same sort of schedule.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Next GLE might be a 2019 model, but details to be released late 2018, that's from using google and compare several pages, but there are also hints that the GLS might be released at same time.

Also it should be designated W167, build on MHA platform, new to MB for this generation, its a Mercedes High (Hoch) Architecture, similar as the MRA platform used in GLC line up.

So MHA will be used for GLE, GLE Coupe and GLS and the GLS Maybach

Sure that more information will be available during the next month.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, that's what we thought. Turns out the 2019 is a continuation of the W166 and the guide has already been released as of Monday with a "Summer of 2018 launch." Attached is a reduced quality version (to fit on this site).

So what's next? This is unprecedented for Mercedes, as this model has always been on a 7-year cycle, and I've had the first of them all ('98, '05, '12). I could conjecture that the switch to the straight 6 with mild hybrid and 48v electrical is taking them extra time to refine, and sales of the existing are still good, but that's just a guess. I cannot see them going a full model year with this. Maybe a debut of the now 2020 W167 at the LA show in November/December, with late Winter launch?

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)

Attachments

#16 ·
#12 ·
With the camo there is really no way to tell. I imagine the pillars get wider at the bottom like the current.

#13 ·
#14 ·
So Paris Motor Show the beginning of October is predicted for reveal; sounds about right. Means ready for ordering Winter ‘18-19. Not soon enough.

#18 ·
GLE schedule

I don't trust dealers' advance model information much, but my longtime salesperson says the 2019 W166 starts production in August, with September deliveries. He says the 2020 W167 will arrive in Q2 2019. Other sources have indicated a Paris Auto Show early this October for the reveal. All this sounds plausible. The short 2019 model run in unusual, and I'm sure Mercedes would have preferred a normal mid-2018 delivery for the new model, but I think the new powertrain with I-6, 48V electrical and mild hybrid has taken longer to develop.

#19 ·

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
W167 GLE competitors

The new BMW X5 was officially launched yesterday. Looks good, but powertrains at launch are mostly carryovers, and weight has gone up slightly, and I'm sure it still has runflats. Optional laser headlights are cool. Audi Q8 is new, as well. I hope Mercedes doesn't keep me waiting too long or I might have to jump ship (would look good next to my M4)!

#21 ·
Reactions: peter2772000
#22 ·
W167 GLE plug-in hybrid

Form the Motor1.com website today:

"Mercedes’ Tuscaloosa plant in Alabama is the place of birth of large SUVs such as the*GLE, GLE Coupe, and the GLS where these are produced to cater the world market. The company is investing a total of $1 billion to expand its manufacturing footprint in that area and will hire more than 600 jobs to get ready for the EQ-badged SUVs.

Speaking of electrified high-riding models,*Mercedes*recently organized a meeting with suppliers in the United States to prepare for the next generation of U.S.-built SUVs and one of the new models coming will be a plug-in hybrid. Production of the model in question will kick off later this year and it won’t be the only partially electrified SUV.

While the identity of the model has not been disclosed, an educated guess would have to be the next-generation GLE taking into account prototypes have been spotted in the past few days with barely any camouflage. The plug-in hybrid derivative Mercedes is referring to is likely a successor for the outgoing GLE 550e 4Matic, but there’s actually going to be more than just one electrified flavor of what is being described as the “next generation SUV.”

Following the GLE’s expected introduction in the weeks or months to come, the bigger*GLS*is slated to arrive at some point in 2019 and we won’t be too surprised if it will spawn a plug-in hybrid model as well."

Reactions: peter2772000
#23 ·
Autobild.de 6/11 article

Google-translated:

"After Mercedes has closed the last gaps in the SUV program with GLC and GLE Coupé, the existing series are now being renovated. The start will be in 2018 with the new GLE. Fresh photos of the subtly disguised Erlkönig are reminiscent of the smaller GLC with its typical C-pillar. At the rear, the SUV even takes over some design elements of the new A-Class: The taillights and the distinctive indentation for the license plate are reminiscent of the Stuttgart compact class.

The outer dimensions remain almost unchanged, a longer wheelbase and the wider track create more space in the interior. Targeted lightweight construction reduces the weight by around 150 kilograms, and the suspension, which is sprung with air suspension, is designed to noticeably improve comfort. For this reason, Mercedes may also save four-wheel drive - so does BMW in the base model of its biggest rival, the X5, after all.

The range of comfort extras comes from the E-Class. The seats in row two can also be adjusted, ventilated, heated and equipped with a massage function. Mercedes wants to expand the electric range of the plug-in GLE from 50 to 100 kilometers. There will be a four-cylinder and a six-cylinder in conjunction with a 90 kW electric motor. A comeback celebrating the three-liter inline six-cylinder, which is to be offered as diesel with 272 and 340 hp and gasoline with 267 and 435 hp. The V8 is only available in the AMG variant with up to 640 hp. In the future, the AMG GLE 43 will no longer be a V6, but a straight-six. How To Cars expects an entry price of about 55,000 euros."

Mercedes GLE W167 (2018): Vorschau, Motoren, Erlkönig, Preis - autobild.de

#24 ·
Auto Motor und Sport 6/11 article

Google-translated:

"Mercedes is currently testing the new generation of the GLE and we have already shot the SUV almost undisguised. A first look into the cockpit is already successful. Here all information and pictures of the W167.

"With the W167, the the SUV is built on the MRA platform of the current E-Class. This platform is again optimized for SUVs including the upcoming GLS. Thanks to the platform, the GLE is again relieved by a few kilos - it is assumed that the two-ton mark will be undercut, but only because the new Mercedes GLE is delivered in the basic version only with rear wheel drive. In terms of dimensions, the SUV grows only marginally at track width and wheelbase.

Otherwise, the new Mercedes GLE has more off-road qualities compared to its predecessor. In addition to more ground clearance and front and rear underrun protection, this also includes improved axle articulation, air suspension, limited slip differentials and transmissions with reduction options.

Two AMG versions of the Mercedes GLE
As top versions, Mercedes is the GLE AMG63 and launch AMG63 S. Instead of the elderly 5.5-liter V8 comes the corporate all-purpose weapon, the four-liter V8 Biturbo used. In the AMG E-Class makes this unit 571 and 612 hp. For the more civil propulsion three-liter six-cylinder with 367 hp or as GLE 53 with hybrid drive and 435 hp + 22 E-PS at the start. On the diesel side, there are the inline six-cylinder with 286 to 340 hp. The engines are said to be 20 percent more economical, not least thanks to the partially introduced 48-volt electrical system with 15-kW starter generator. Even a hybrid powertrain will be modifying entry into the new Mercedes GLE hold. Here, the Stuttgart combine for the plug-in hybrid, a two-liter four-cylinder petrol engine with a 90 kW electric motor. The system performance should be 279 hp. Later, a diesel hybrid is added. On the transmission side, an automatic access system can be combined with all drives.

Visually, the new generation of the Mercedes turns out a favorable GLE not as a revolution, but as evolution. Aprons and sills are redesigned, the grill modified. The distinctive beads on the side should also be revised, but the profile line is now above the door handles. And the characteristic C-pillar should continue to strive against the direction of travel - but here it gets a new impetus. As with the current series, the Mercedes GLE as GLE Coupé (C292) should come later on the market.

Gigantic display landscape in the cockpit
The view into the cockpit of the new GLE reveals an oversized display that reaches far beyond the center of the dashboard. As in the S-Class the left half serves to display all relevant driving information, the right part uses the infotainment and navigation system. Under the display they make four new rectangular air vents wide. The driver reaches into a newly designed steering wheel including touchpad. For the rear passengers in the GLE, there should be more space."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/erlkoenig/mercedes-gle-suv-w167-2018-infos-daten-bilder-preise/

#25 ·
W167 debut at LA show

According to AutoExpress, the new model is most likely to be revealed at the LA Auto Show, which starts November 30 this year.

#27 · (Edited)
Laser headlights

You are correct - they are not mentioned in the US press release. Actually laser headlights are permitted under current rules, just not the matrix kind that provide high & low beams from one source; separate sources are required. The adaptable matrix feature is their big advantage. I know on my '12 ML the "intelligent Light System" LEDs adaptive function is disabled in the US. DOT is extremely reluctant to change regulations unless a safety benefit is proven.

#28 · (Edited)

Attachments

#30 ·

Attachments

#31 ·
Just got the word from my sales rep -- the 2019 GLE350 is being replaced by the GLE400, with the 329-hp turbo 3.0 L V6 and 9-speed automatic. I had decided to get a GLE350 this fall, as my current least ends in Jan, but this is exciting news -- the turbo V6 and 9-speed for just $1000 more than the 2018 GLE350.

#32 ·
2019 W166 GLE

The torque bump is even more impressive - 273-354 lb-ft. I'm waiting for the W167, though. You'll have a rare animal, probably in production for only 6 months.

Attachments

#33 ·
Latest spy pics

Caveat, these are from AutoBild, but may be Photoshopped. This would be the base GLE 450 version.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.