Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2015 ML350 won't start after crash

59K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  mattml430 
#1 ·
I bought the 2015 from the insurance company. Minor front left damage of bumper cover and supports..

Four airbags deployed as well as four seat belt tensioners. Replaced all components as well as the pre-fuse block. New battery also.

Engine still won't crank.

Lots of lights lit in instrument cluster. SRS malfunction, EBS malfunction dialogue in display. I don't have a scanner that will recognize this vehicle.

any suggestions? Do I need to clear codes to get it to start? Bring ECM to dealer?

#2 ·
I believe there is a dealer only replaceable safety interlock that gets activated in a crash to prevent driving a damaged vehicle. You'll probably have to take it to a dealer to get it going.

#5 ·
As said, there is a safety interlock that must be replaced/reset by a dealer.

#9 ·
No fault codes are stored, unless I cycle the ignition switch to start and rescan. Then i get two PTS codes (B12444A and B12494A). Indicating the wrong distance sensor is installed. I will have to check the sensors..

I also noticed the steering wheel doesn't lock when the ignition switch is turned off and key is removed.

#17 ·
Ok here is the bottom line on a 2015 ML and GLK engine start after airbag / seatbelt activation, Thanks to Chip6565 for his piece of the fix. I have Chips identical situation only I have a GLK350 he has a ML350, same everything except body size. First older cars would blow the PREFUSE on airbag deployment, 2015 DO NOT, older cars would also blow the PYRO FUSE on pos batt terminal the 2015 DO NOT. Chip replaced his prefuse module then using STAR Xentry software found the command to reset engine start after crash, mercedes does NOT need to reset engine star command, a good repair shop can use there ODP connect fault machines, but they need to know where to look in the software to find the reset command tell them to look under airbag module, then hit motor electronic, adaptations, enable start of engine after crash reset, YES!! DONE engine will now start!! NO need for new prefuse or pyro fuse or Star xentry software! This may be true for other years, would not be surprised if same for 2014 and up cars.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

mercedes wont start after airbag deployment
mercedes no start after crash
mercedes will not start after deer

#19 ·
I'm working on a 2015 C400 that I replaced airbags and srs module but the car still won't start. I'm getting srs malfunction on the screen. I'm pretty sure we have to take it to the dealer to have them program the new srs module but I'd like the car to start so I don't have to push it to paint and back. We have the snap on solus and I'm curious if anyone could tell me where to go on the solus to get this fucker started. I feel like I've gone through everything on there but I just can't get the damn thing to start.
Thanks in advance.

#28 ·
Help please

I have a 2016 e400 that crashed and airbags deployed. They were changed, as well as sensors, pyrofuse squib, etc. Still won't start.

On 09-14-15 Chip6565 said here:

"Fixed it! In Xentry, motor electronic, adaptations, enable start of engine after crash reset."

On 02-11-17 Hardshines said here:

"mercedes does NOT need to reset engine star command, a good repair shop can use there ODP connect fault machines, but they need to know where to look in the software to find the reset command tell them to look under airbag module, then hit motor electronic, adaptations, enable start of engine after crash reset, YES!! DONE engine will now start!!"

On 03-01-17 Hardshines added here:

"followed your command lines and started up, pre fuse not blown! did it on a common gas station Snap-on scan tool, Mercedes software not needed!."

I have an iCarsoft MB II and it doesn't have the sequence to get to the "restart engine after crash." My mechanic tried it with his professional grade Snap-on scanner and that sequence did not show up under the airbag module or anywhere else.

So, what scanner will work? Can anyone help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.