Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CRUISE CONTROL BRAKIN DOWNHILL ML500 W164

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Planethill 
#1 ·
Recently bought a ML500 2009 model. Lovely SUV except for the [stupid] cruise control braking downhill. Is it possible to disable braking downhill when the cruise control is enabled? It is really annoying in the area we live (up and downhill 90%) to have the vehicle constantly braking when on cruise control. It is hazardous since all other vehicles accelerate downhill making it look like the ML driver is an ass braking at 100km/h on a simple downhill. It also uses more fuel and wear the brake pads unnecessarily. This is first car I drive with a cruise control that brakes the car if it exceeds the cruise setting, maybe an engineering marvel but in reality a pain in the ass, making he cruise control a pain instead of a luxury aid. Please help!

#3 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I attempted it but the DSR is seemingly only intended for very low speed downhill on serious 4x4/slippery terrain, with a max of 18km/h. Above 18km/h the DSR cannot be activated. The DSR is only adjustable to a max of 18km/h. So the cruise control (works only from 30km/h up) and DSR is not related. :-(
The DSR does serious braking downhill to keep the programmed speed but is sounds very strange when activated, like the vehicle is squeaking a lot.

#5 ·
Real irritating to hit the lever all the time but am getting used to do the same as you tinapetel. When I visit during next service I will inquire if they can possibly DE-activate the downhill braking via the computer diagnostics cable connected to the vehicle at service. I am just so used to using cruise control on my previous car which did not do this braking thing -much better like that!

#6 ·
DSR doesn't do it. It's only meant for slow driving. It's basically hill descent control in bad terrain, where a few miles per hour difference can mean a lot.

I'd also like to get rid of the downhill braking. But it looks like the only way to get that is turn cruise control off.

#7 · (Edited)
It's not a bug, it's a feature! :D It is simply doing it's job like a good German vehicle: Maintaining your set speed at all times.

Just as your truck will accelerate to maintain speed going uphill, it will also downshift (it isn't applying brakes) when going downhill. If you don't want to maintain a certain speed going downhill, simply turn off cruise control.

It may seem like a PIA on a local road, but when going down an extended mountain pass at highway speed it works wonderfully so you don't have to burn up your brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.