Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Towing experience

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeOregon 
#1 ·
I am intending on buying an RV trailer and pull it with my 2011 ML350 Bluetec with factory hitch.
According to manual I can tow 7300lbs (and 567lbs tongue weight).

Is there anyone who has experience towing with ML350?
Any suggestions? ie.
tow mirrors to get that fit?
weight distribution hitch?
sway bar?
real life maximum trailer dry weight recommended?

#2 ·
We tow a Forest River R-Pod 171 regularly with ours. That's actually the reason we bought the ML in the first place and then fell in love with the car :wink . Ours is a '08 320CDI. The R-Pod is about 3,800 lbs fully loaded and tows well. You will probably need a brake controller and will have to order the connector parts for that as no one sells a harness pre made. Never plan on towing rated towing capacity with any vehicle for an extended time.

Cheers

#3 ·
I pulled a 22 foot Chrysler sailboat with my 09 ML 320. Had plenty of power and brakes. Mine was on a no-brake single axel trailer which in 1979 was fine. Your ML should be wired for a 7 pin plug, you can get a 4 pin adapter if you need it, most bigger trailers will need a brake controller. I never needed extension mirrors. I would recommend servicing your transmission depending on miles, especially if you get a heavy trailer.

#4 ·
Sway bar

I would hold off on the sway bar at first.

Our TT was first pulled by our 3rd generation 4runner (smaller than current ones). The 3,800lb single axle trailer wagged the 4runner some, but I was OK with it as I used to drive truck and just compensated.

Now with the ML towing it it's a whole new game. The ML is right at 1000 lbs heavier than the T4R and wider. The biggest difference is the technology built into the ML though. When a trailer is plugged in the ML senses that and goes into trailer mode automatically changing the ESP and other systems to compensate for braking and sway. It really does work well.

So I'd say try it without a sway bar first, you can always add one later if it feels like you need it. Trailer size will be a factor too of course, but remember to not tow to full capacity full time. I've heard it mentioned that you should stay at least 20-25% below rated capacity and I totally agree with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.