Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Latest premature issues

657 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  marmalade 
#1 ·
A $99 oil change offer lured me back to the dealer (I changed cabin and air filters myself). They did a full examination.

They found leaking transmission cooler lines and a failing coil spring on the rear suspension. Both issues were outlined as critical.
Both findings are surprising to me; the car feels normal.

The combined quote was for $1768. I'm thinking local mechanic for these issues.

Are they common? Does the price sound... normal?

Thank you for your advice.

PD

#2 ·
When you say 'spring' I guessing that you do not have air springs. If that's the case then you need to replace both rear springs. The springs look like they are $150/ea +- and the labor is about 4 hours. I had this work done on my W211 for about $800. In my case one spring broke about 3 inches from the bottom and the piece rattled around. Didn't seem to affect the ride height, but...
The leaking transmission lines sound like a similar situation, relatively inexpensive parts with high labor. I would couple that work with a transmission service.
Overall the $1,700 sounds a little steep to me.
If you have air springs it's a different story.

Skippy

#6 ·
Amazingly, my warranty (MaxCare, 5yr, up to 100k miles, expiring September) covered the spring and the leaking cooler lines! MB also found a small leak on the PS system that was covered. Warranty covered one spring, the other was $260 (P+L). Deductible, $300... total $560.

Plus, I drove a stunning C300 ('17) for 4 days.

Very happy that the warranty finally paid off. Warranty billed $2900.

I honestly wonder how much to believe "we found a small leak but it's covered and we fixed it". Warranty pays, I didn't worry, but MB gets the money.

Either way, happy to have it in good condition.

New springs seem a bit squeaky, is that normal?

PD

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.