Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Reliability of the 2008 320 CDI

16K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Victor84 
#1 ·
How reliable are actually the 320 CDI engine/transmissions, particularly the 2008?

I read a lot about oil leaks - is this a serious problem?

I had a 300D for 13 years and I am thinking of buying a diesel again - the torque of the 320 CDI seems to be fantastic, providing power at low rpm.

But what about this leaks? And I have read about a swirl flap (if I remember this right) that is expensive to repair.

The 320 CDI is really hard to get, but I found one with the interior color I like and with 106k miles on it - only 1200 miles away ( :) )

#2 ·
Just do it, repair and maintain yourself (you'll need a Star C3/Xentry tool [needed for something as simple as an engine air filter change]), and allow for new glow plugs and glow plug controller. Very nice to driver, and you are right, that kind of low down torque makes for effortless driving.

#4 ·
I have one of these and a '07 E320. The power is impressive/effortless.
Both have 100K and each has required differing work.

The '08 recently had the intake flap repair which I expanded to include the oil cooler seals. Somewhat pricey repair @ $3,500ish at the dealer.
Several years ago it also needed a starter @ about $700. Another job performed at the dealer which I understand required removal of the right motor mount.
The last dealer maintenance was a transmission service. This is a 40,000 mile requirement and can be a little challenging for the DIYer. Requires pumping the ATF up into the pan until it overflows, then starting the vehicle and monitoring the ATF temperature until it reaches a specific point (80C, I think) at which time you install the sealing plug. Surely not as easy as the 722.6.
A great vehicle to drive for long periods in keeping with the MB tradition.
There are a few other repairs that I was able to perform though nothing too gruesome, just normal stuff.
The '07 has required a conductor plate, rear springs, the turbo and I recently replaced the brakes.
Both of these examples seem normal to my experience with cars. Some require more than others though I'm seeing more work that is not as easily performed in the DIY setting.
I think you may find the CDI to be slightly less reliable as your 300D. The technology is great when it works and somewhat disappointing when it doesn't . I've had both vehicles go into limp mode and I believe the proverbial tortoise is faster off the line. :)

It's good that you have the experience with the brand to make a choice.

YMMV

Skippy

#5 ·
My 300D had a stick shift - probably the only 300D in the US with that - it was a European import.

I just feel there are more moving parts (flaps, turbo) and the higher compression of the diesel also gives more seal woes.

I just get the idea the 2008 gas powered is not only easier to find ( I only found one 320 CDI I like - 1200 miles away ;) )

The gas savings are about 500$/year on an 10 000 miles driving.

#6 ·
My repairs:

29,000 miles, transmission valve body and conductor plate done under warranty.

50,324 miles, replace drivers door lock. Done at independent MB service center, $643

56,575 miles, replace intake manifolds, swirl motor, at Indy, $2,719

59,951, replace oil cooler seals, at Indy, $2,122

60,988, replace glow plug module, at Indy, $288

Currently at 88,000 miles. This is my sixth Mercedes, first diesel. Have spent more on this vehicle than all prior, combined! If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the gasoline ML350.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.