Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Identify my merc

860 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  james.calton1 
#1 ·
I have an ML350, 2011, Bluetec, diesel.
Just purchased last week.
Only after buying i I have read the manual.
That raised some questions I hope to get help with:
1. Is it w164 or w166. How can I tell?
2. Is it 4Matic? It says Bluetec on the back.
3. I need spare key. Where to get it being price consciouss?
4. Spare tire. I would rather have one. Any suggestions on type (collapsibe, folding), or maybe mounting it outside?
5. Comand firmware update. How to upgrade to version allowing bloetooth music streaming?
6. AdBlue. Is diesel additive available at gas station or at Canadian Tire just as good?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
1. Should be a w164. w166 was introduced in 2011 as a 2012 model;
2. Not sure on that but most (if not all?) ML's are AWD
3. Only place I found that can do it is the Mercedes dealer. I would check if they have a valet type key; they are usually cheaper;
4. You can get one from the earlier model ML. Just make sure you get the shorter lugs with it as well. There may be some hitch mounting options; if not, you can just keep it in the trunk?
5. Dealer can upgrade the software. Not sure if you can stream music through bluetooth though? I can't on mine; bluetooth only works for calls/text;
6. I don't think gas stations carry it. Online or dealer probably your best source. I believe Walmart has it as well in the US.

#3 ·
There is command software, and map software. I don't think any W164's will stream music. There is an iPod/iPhone cable in the glovebox. I bought used iPhone 3S on eBay for $10, and copied all of my music onto it. I essentially have a juke box in the glove box. I can back it up when the car is in the garage, so it syncs the podcasts and such.

If you want to update your maps,let me know, I have 2015 DVD's if you want to borrow them and upgrade yours.

#5 ·
I have an ML350, 2011, Bluetec, diesel.

Just purchased last week.

Only after buying i I have read the manual.

That raised some questions I hope to get help with:

1. Is it w164 or w166. How can I tell?

2. Is it 4Matic? It says Bluetec on the back.

3. I need spare key. Where to get it being price consciouss?

4. Spare tire. I would rather have one. Any suggestions on type (collapsibe, folding), or maybe mounting it outside?

5. Comand firmware update. How to upgrade to version allowing bloetooth music streaming?

6. AdBlue. Is diesel additive available at gas station or at Canadian Tire just as good?

Thanks in advance.

1. You have a 164 as stated in previous reply.
2. All Bluetec 164's were 4matic
3. You have to go to the dealer 250.00ish
4. You can get a spare from a gas 164, but it won't fit under the mat in the back. It will just be riding around back there. Dump the run flats for ride quality.
5. The only way to get Bluetooth streaming is to go into engineering mode and set it to streaming. The only downfall is you lose Bluetooth phone with this. Look into an AVIN unit if you want streaming.
6. I've seen Adblue everywhere including Walgreens lol. It is available everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
1. You have a 164 as stated in previous reply.

5. The only way to get Bluetooth streaming is to go into engineering mode and set it to streaming. The only downfall is you lose Bluetooth phone with this. Look into an AVIN unit if you want streaming.

First I have heard of this. What is the process do you know? Thanks.

#7 ·
I ventured down that road and I got to the point to where the dealership would do it for an hour of labor and I was like I'm good. If you search around on some of the forums there are always instructions but they all leave out a step at the end which takes a technician to do it. I kid of wish I would have tried to dig deeper before I got my AVIN unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.