Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bought a 2009 ML320 Bluetec. This is our journey!

53K views 312 replies 26 participants last post by  Two190 
#1 · (Edited)
We just bought a 2009 ML320 Bluetec, with 56,000 miles.:smile

Obsidian Black Metallic, Cashmere interior, with P1 and P2 packages, heated front seats, and side steps.
Carfax is clean, aside from a small bump in 2013, it looks like it has a pretty full MB Service history.

Items of special note from the ownership/service history are:
1/21/2019 First registered and sold as a Lease.
7/25/2012 Returned to original MB dealer, with 21,324 miles.
8/20/2012 Sold as a Certified MB Vehicle.
4/30/2015 Oil Cooler seals replaced at 44,860 miles.
8/16/2016 Maintenance inspection completed
Air filter replaced Automatic transmission replaced Brake fluid flushed/changed
Engine electrical system checked Fluids checked Fuel filter replaced Oil and filter changed
At 53,058 miles.

So, never having owned one like this before.
This is to replace a 1998 Rang Rover 4.6HSE, so you KNOW I am a dedicated wrencher, with a ramp, lots of tools, and experience!:nerd

So, will not take possession of the vehicle until next week.
Looks like the maintenance is up to date, but plan to get a Scanner(Icarsoft MBII).
Airbag is still outstanding, so need to read up on that one.

Anything you guys suggest I inspect/check/do, or plan to do?

See less See more
#2 ·
The transmission and oil cooler seals are definitely two nice ones to have in the bag. I would also check the front shocks. They are known for leaking. And of course check for any other oil leaks. As you may know, there can be quite a few on the diesel ML :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I believe the '09 has the AdBlue system. It will be worthwhile to read up on it.
I have two pre-AdBlue OM642's. Both are fine vehicles with plenty of power.
You may be getting close to needing a main battery (the one in my '08 needed replacement last year). When that time comes be certain to replace the small battery as well. This small battery allows some critical functions if the main battery is flat. The main battery is an AGM which weighs about 60lbs!
Curious as to why the transmission needed replacing. I realize that is likely lost information, but with a car so young.....
Is there a tow hitch?
Enjoy the ride.
Skippy

#4 ·
Thanks for the input!
Yes, its a Bluetec/Adblue model, so need to read up.

Will pull the covers off top and bottom to look for oil leaks.
Ditto the shocks.
Does not have the air ride as far as I know.

No idea why the trans was replaced, but the fact that it was done at a MB dealer gives me a warm feeling... Unless someone wants to tell me otherwise!
Assume MB would have put in a new unit, not a back street rebuild!

No tow hitch evident.

Good info on the battery, what is that cost?

I am hoping to get copies of the MB service history... any tips on doing that? Maybe PM me!

#6 ·
Thanks for the input!

Yes, its a Bluetec/Adblue model, so need to read up.

Will pull the covers off top and bottom to look for oil leaks.

Ditto the shocks.

Does not have the air ride as far as I know.

No idea why the trans was replaced, but the fact that it was done at a MB dealer gives me a warm feeling... Unless someone wants to tell me otherwise!

Assume MB would have put in a new unit, not a back street rebuild!

No tow hitch evident.

Good info on the battery, what is that cost?

I am hoping to get copies of the MB service history... any tips on doing that? Maybe PM me!

The MB dealer should be able to provide the maintenance history though they will want to redact the prior owners name/location.
Approach the service counter with VIN and ask for a history.
I've gotten this for the MBs I've owned from the different dealers.
No fee charged.

It would be interesting to see the 'why' for the transmission on such a young vehicle. No tow hitch makes it more interesting. I had thought maybe they had pulled something too heavy and cooked the trans - no hitch makes that moot.

When you need to replace the battery I recommend removing the passenger seat. Four bolts and a bunch of electric connectors. Makes it much easier to get at the battery. Yes, you can replace it without removing the seat by moving the seat fully forward and tilting the rear, but.......
Another clue on whether the battery is original is to look at the carpet under the passenger seat. When the time comes to replace the battery, the carpet needs to be cut. It will be evident when you look at it.

Skippy

#5 ·
The battery is nothing special ($$ wise - maybe $160 orso); the annoyance is more the replacement as some genius decided that putting it under the passenger's seat with limited clearance is a great idea. I used a pry bar for leverage to get it out.

#7 ·
Perfect mileage to change the front Diff oil.

Your models' age should be after the batch of dodgy bearings that earlier W164s suffered from, but it's worth doing anyway because it's easy. And it makes you feel better...

Once the Drain Plug is out, replace it with a magnetic one (plenty on ebay for a couple of quid). This should keep the small (ferrous) pieces of metal away from areas where they could do further damage.

In fact, always change normal drain plugs for magnetic ones (engine, rear Diff etc) ....in a couple of years you'll see clearly how much material they attract..

#9 ·
Thanks again, all good info that will help me figure out a maintenance/preventative plan.
Been reading up, and have learned a lot, so my list is beginning to form!
I hope to get the story about the story behind the transmission.
I feel, and am told that Mercedes would have put a brand new, updated transmission, and as it was done by the Dealer it was a huge plus and cost regardless of why.

Vin is 4JGBB25E69A480096
We bought it on Ebay and its in FL, and will be shipped later this week.
Been looking for a while, and had not found the vehicle we wanted with the miles, package, and stuff we had set, this side of $20k anywhere.
We are comfortable with the price we paid, and even with the shipping, we are ok if the car is what we hope.
Car comes with a 30 day/3000 mile Powertrain Plus warranty, so we will look, and listen carefully for any issues.

Anyone have an opinion on the Icarsoft 980 MBII scanner?
My son(Ps2cho) has one, and it has helped him tremendously diagnose his '08 E350.

#11 ·
Thanks!

Also been looking at this whole runflat tire thing.
Not having a spare is a worry.
The seller says the tires have more than 75% tire life left.
I am looking at the pictures of the the vehicle and they look like Bridgestone Dueller H/L 400. I think they are RFT, or Runflat's based on the tread design, as there is a difference between RFT tread and normal.
Anyone have an opinion on those or others?
Runflats vs normal, and options or ideas for the future?

#16 ·
Thanks!

Also been looking at this whole runflat tire thing.

Not having a spare is a worry.

The seller says the tires have more than 75% tire life left.

I am looking at the pictures of the the vehicle and they look like Bridgestone Dueller H/L 400. I think they are RFT, or Runflat's based on the tread design, as there is a difference between RFT tread and normal.

Anyone have an opinion on those or others?

Runflats vs normal, and options or ideas for the future?

My reading of the Bridgestone site shows their run flat is called Driveguard ( though TireRack shows the MB run flat as a Bridgestone Potenza)
I'm not keen on Bridgestones as that what was on the ML when we bought it used (not run flats).
They lived up to their other name "Bridgerocks". I replaced them with the OE Continental which are still good 10,000 miles later.

My concern with run flats are with the availability of a replacement if you do get a puncture. I've read that they often are not repairable with conventional methods leaving you to buy a new one. The run flats are not yet shelf items so you could get stranded waiting for one to get shipped.

Skippy

#14 ·
While I think they would be great for my wife for obvious reasons, I don't like them. Rougher ride due to stiffer sidewalls and they tend to wear faster. Not to mention they are more expensive.

#17 ·
Ok.
I've been reading up on them and seems like its a lose, lose situation!
Tire Tech Information - Flat Tire Repairs - After Driving on Flat Run-Flat Tires

What is the story with the ML 4matic and tire replacement?
On a Subaru in the family, you virtually have to replace all 4 at any time if there is wear or differences in diameter of more than 10%.
Wears out the center viscous coupling it says.

#18 ·
Of course the corollary question is 'When was the last time you've had a flat?".
In my case it's been 5 years, wife's car, and she had a spare.
Daughter had a flat, self-inflicted, and she also had a spare. That was two years ago.
In both cases they were less than 50 miles from home, so a run flat would have gotten them where they needed to be.
I'm not yet convinced of the benefit(s). In your case the AdBlue tank takes the space formerly allocated for a spare tire. I've not yet seen accessories to mount a tire on the outside rear of the ML nor would it look cute.
Maybe the only solution against no spare is a compressor and tire goo as offered in other MBs.

#19 ·
The previous owner had runflats on mine. After driving over a bolt and a nail, my tire was losing air fast. There was no way I was going to drive 50mi on LA fwys on a tire like that, runflat or not. Of course, mine is a '08 so I have a spare. I changed it out in 110F degree weather but at least I had peace of mind on the way home. And, of course, the runflat couldn't be repaired. I ditched all of them and bought a set of M+S rated tires instead. Much better ride and they last forever (65k+ mi!).

If I had a BlueTec, I would buy a spare from a CDI (don't forget the shorter bolts!) and take it with me on longer trips. Except for this one occurrence, all my flat tires have always been slow leaks with a nail in it; if you carry an air compressor with you, you'll get to a tire place 90% of the time. Runflats are pretty much a waste of money IMO.

#21 ·
Thanks Guys!
Let me see what the story is when it arrives.

Payment was made in full, we are just waiting for the shipping to get organised now.
I did consider flying in and getting it myself, but when I crunched the numbers it was like $200 or so difference, and 5 days of driving.

Reading up on the Adblue... does anyone use the Walmart stuff or is it a No No.
Also, I read about Adblue pump and heater failures....

#23 ·
Thanks Guys!

Let me see what the story is when it arrives.

Payment was made in full, we are just waiting for the shipping to get organised now.

I did consider flying in and getting it myself, but when I crunched the numbers it was like $200 or so difference, and 5 days of driving.

Reading up on the Adblue... does anyone use the Walmart stuff or is it a No No.

Also, I read about Adblue pump and heater failures....

I'm sure the purists would say use the MB brand of AdBlue. My reading suggests that there may be better benefit in keeping the fluid fresh. In that vein I mean coupling the amount in the tank with expected annual mileage. When refilling, it may be useful to purge the remaining fluid.
Just my guess at this point.

#22 ·
I just had a fun little repair on my '08. Chances aren't too high you'll have this problem but do listen very carefully around the front of the engine for any metallic noise/rattling. My crankshaft pulley started falling apart at only 73k mi and was rubbing against the engine! Apparently Mercedes significantly updated that part but it now costs over $600 instead of $200-ish for the old one...

#27 ·
I buy my AddBlue where it's on sale. AutoZone has it 2 jugs for $25 right now. I've used about 7.5 gallons in almost 10k miles. I bought one of the Mercedes bottles on eBay and used it, then cut the bottom of the bottle off and use it asa funnel to fill with. The small bottles have a push to fill valve, and a vent so you can't overflow and make a mess.

#28 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

Been a little distracted...
Lost one of our Dogs in June last year suddenly to Bloat.
Moose was an amazing Dog, and we miss her...
Moose on the left is survived by Cole, on right...

Anyway, I began looking at rescue dogs in about October, but my GF was not ready until this sweetheart popped up as a stray....

Something about her broke thru the GF's grief, and we adopted her yesterday!
About 4 months old and sweet, but Cole is not impressed or happy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.